Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help with RazorTec Speed problem....

Old 04-07-2003, 03:17 PM

Default Help with RazorTec Speed problem....

I just got a new Razortec on Friday. I love the bow. It is very smooth. I upgraded for many reasons, but one was that I wanted some more speed. I was shooting 235fps with my old bow and it is about 12 years old.

I chrono' d the Razortec after it was set up for me. I bought the 50-60 lb model and it is set on 63 pound draw. 28" draw length. 26.5" Easton Carbon Aeros Evolution in a 400 Camo. 100 gr field tips. Arrows should weigh like 377 with tip, nock and insert, according to Easton. The bow has an IBO of 310. I don' t shoot a 30" draw and I am not currently shooting at 70#. But I think I should be getting more than 245 out of the bow. Right now that is where it is registering. Any help would appreciated in helping my find my problem...
Old 04-07-2003, 04:12 PM

Default RE: Help with RazorTec Speed problem....

I just ran your rig through ' The Archery Program' and show a few differences but the speed matches your results.

I show the arrow with 3" vanes to weigh around 395 grains. The program shows 249 f/s with 54.4 ft/lbs KE.

Usually the program predicts the speed +- just a few f/s so I would say your bow is spot on with what Hoyt advertises.

Old 04-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

No matter whether you' re hunting or shooting competition, success depends entirely on where your arrows hit instead of how quick they get there. I' ve never seen speed make anyone instantly successful. Don' t let speed be a ' problem' just because it' s a bit less than you expected. You' ve got a great setup. Tune it to perfection and shoot enough to become friends with it.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sprig,it seems that you forgot to add the insert weight or something else.The finished weight of the arrow is about 396-399gr.I checked it with an Easton catalog and with Archers Advantage and that is what I got with both.

26.5x9.1=241.15 gr
field point=100 gr
insert=21 gr
nock=13 gr
4" fletching x3=24 gr
total weight of 399.15 gr

Your setup looks great but your speed seems a LITTLE low.The best I would think you could get out of the setup would be about 255 fps.Depending on what you have on your string and if you are actually pulling 28" draw.Also your rest could make a difference.75% letoff will also be a bit slower.

A good set of strings and cables might be worth looking into if the extra speed is that important to you.There are many other advantages to new strings but the cost would have to be justified by you.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think TFOX might be right on the money. What items do you have on your bowstring and what accessories do you have on the bow? Both could definitely be reducing speed significantly from a bare string-proper tune-low friction setup.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:16 AM

The only items on the bow are a bodoodle rest, string leeches, string loop and two nocks.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, the string loop by itself would probably only result in a speed reduction of a few fps but add to that the two brass nocksets and your speed loss might be somewhat more substantial...especially considering their location on the string.

Do you use a peep sight?