Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tune Up

Old 12-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tune Up

Hey guys I got a first bow tonight its a Hoyt Intruder. Its a used bow but its in pretty good condition and I got a good deal on it. I wanted to do a tune up for it at bass pro or gander. How much would a tune up cost. I would like to get new strings and make sure everything is alligned and good to shoot. The bow came with a single pin tru glow sight and a camo hoyt usa quiver and a whisker basket holder with a camo stabalizer. I would like to maybe put the stings that are on the Hoyt on another older bow whose strings are crappy and get new ones for the hoyt.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tune Up

It will be cheaper to have a local pro shop tune your bow/ build your strings. I would expect around 100 or so for everything at least. I know a "supertune" at ganer mtn.is like 50-60 bucks or so? Thats not including the strings.
Derek
Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the above. I personally would take your bow to a good reputable pro shop instead of a box store like Gander Mt. or Bass Pro. A pro shop will get you a good set of strings and cables put on and setup everything correctly. Some of the box stores have people working there that have limited knowledge of what they need to be doing to your bow.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys I found a good shop close by Im gonna go there tomorrow thanks for the suggestions
Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Derek --- Gander does super tunes? HAHAHA
Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to a chart on their wall at my Gander mtn. they do. Im in there quite a bit (i know the archery guys and they let me shoot 4 free (althoughmost of the time i pay anyway) and i noticed it not too long ago on a sign. It actually said "super tuning". Im sure all they would do would be adjust the tiller and paper tune the bow or something like that. black stick needs to shed some light on this, im sure he knows. One of the former Gander employees at my local one is definately capable of advanced tuning, and another guy there is pretty good with the stuff. all of the other staff... I know more about archery than most of them. Usually when im in their shooting, the less knowledgeable employees are in their asking me ?'s about target stuff lol! I dont look down on them though, I couldnt do it as a job I dont think. Ive already been there. My other passion is cars/racing and I worked as a tech. in a toyota dealership for a year and a half. Hobbies dont make good jobs IMO Now if I owned a shop, that would be a different story I assume.
Derek
Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to work at a Gander store and we had these services. Of course we happened to be lucky and everybody there was a shooter or bowhunter so we knew what we were doing. Not so with most stores.

However, for us Supertune meant completely tearing the bow down. We cleaned and lubes the limb pockets, rocker, and limb bolts. Remove the rigging , cams, axles and everything. Clean the axles with scotchbrite, lube as necessary and reinstall everything. Put the string on a jig and wax it thoroughly. Set the bow up to specs, set nocking point to square, centre shot and so forth if requested.

For this we charged $25. That was a couple years ago. It might have gone up. I don't work there any more nor do any of the other guys. Our lead man is now the store manager at Kinsey's Outdoors.

It might also be noted that tuning or supertuning is really not what this is. This is just general maintenance and setup procedures. It has nothing whatsoever to do with actual tuning. Tuning is the process of adjusting the bow/arrow combo to shoot an arrow straight and true. So why do we call it "tuning"?
Old 12-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TheMiz54

Hey guys I got a first bow tonight its a Hoyt Intruder. Its a used bow but its in pretty good condition and I got a good deal on it. I wanted to do a tune up for it at bass pro or gander. How much would a tune up cost. I would like to get new strings and make sure everything is alligned and good to shoot. The bow came with a single pin tru glow sight and a camo hoyt usa quiver and a whisker basket holder with a camo stabalizer. (These things really don't mean much, but they're accessories, nonetheless) I would like to maybe put the stings that are on the Hoyt on another older bow whose strings are crappy and get new ones for the hoyt. (Unless the other bow takes strings that are the exact length of those the Hoyt Intruder takes, you can't do this. If you want a set of strings for it at a decent price, PM MeanV and he can get you a set of Vapor Trails for around $60 or so TYD, then you can look at having the bow tinkered with.)
Not trying to bust your bubble, but it's difficult for some people to understand that strings need to be made to specific lengths and such. I have a older Hoyt Striker II, which is from the same era as the Intruder. It's a great shooting bow, as a matter of fact, I'd rather shoot it than my Reflex Highlander because it shoots so nicely. And it's not a slo-poke either, I was getting 256fps with a 415gr arrow out of it at 58# and 29" and 247fps with a 440gr arrow.