Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning my new DC Pat, does this look right?

Old 04-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tuning my new DC Pat, does this look right?

Specs: DC Pat, 70#, 367gn arrow, 28inch draw, release shooter, NAP 4000 drop away rest.

Question: When I tuned to bullet holes my rest is basically aligned with the edge of the arrow shelf ( 1st Pic below). I know the arrow shelf is a little narrow but it just looked a little odd. I noticed the string isnt exactly centered between the limbs but displaced to the left (2nd Pic below) which might explain why my rest is so far to the left. Does this seem odd?

The bow originally came as a 26inch draw. With 28 inch modules and very close to 5gn/lb it' s shooting 295fps {string loop, no nocks, peep sight (no tube), leeches}
Does that sound right?

Old 04-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tuning my new DC Pat, does this look right?

Cargo.
The rest should not be that far left.
Did you do a center shot before shooting paper?
Plus when you picked it up from the dealer did they time the cams?
If the cams are not hitting the back wall at exactly the same time then that will throw the arrow off plus you wont have a valley.

The speed is about right you might pick up a few more if the cams are out and you get them back in time
Old 04-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cabel make sure your not getting vane contact , that will play havoc with tuning . looks like you may have an area on the cabel thats getting smacked . Your way too far to the left .
Old 04-05-2003, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cargo, I have a NAP 4000 on my Dually. Your launcher is way too far left. Start out at 3/4" for center shot. Measure from the center of the arrow (when raised) to the riser. Set the rest to raise the arrow even with the rest mounting hole. On the Pat you should be able to set the rest level, or very slightly below level. Draw the bow & have someone mark where the slide is, at full draw. Adjust the lifting cable to raise the launcher completely while not binding the cables. You can do this by pulling the slide back by hand to the mark. This also allows the launcher to drop quickly enough to give clearance. Set nock point 3/16" high to start. This should get you in the ballpark to start tuning. I' ve had great luck with the 4000 rests, and very minor adjustments were needed, from the starting point. Also, should the lifting cable be in the way, you can twist it clockwise (looking from the back) to gain clearance. Hope this helps.

I forgot to mention I don' t use the rubber thing on the shelf. I cover it with mole skin.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Ausie,
we did a center shot with this cool laser thing at the shop. That center shot was significantly further to the right than where my rest is now. Thing is, when I first shot it I was getting a big tail right tear. So I started moving the rest to the left until it went away and my rest ended up in east-bejesus when it finally shot bullet holes (way left where you see it now).
I just looked at the cam timing and did notice the bottom cam is hitting the stop before the top cam so I' ll have to adjust that. Never tuned a dual cam before, time to download the manual. I' ll get back to you all when I fix the timing.

ijimmy,
No vane contact, clearance is unobstructed.

pdq 5oh,
I' m glad there is someone here in the exact same boat (bow/rest). Now that I' ve noticed the cams are out of time I' ll have to fix that and re-tune but I dont think it' s going to change anything that much. When I set up my rest I did pretty much what you described.

I' ll be back
Old 04-06-2003, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cargo, what arrows are you shooting? The Pat will like a stiffer arrow than the charts suggest. Mine set at 55#, 29" draw likes a PSE 300. Very stiff for the weight.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:30 AM

Uh? Ya, that rest is too far over there.

I Line my rest so the arrow is straight in-line with the centerline of the limbs and riser.

Get that funky thing off the arrow shelf!

Try a stiffer arrow, a lighter grain point, or back off on your limbs. You may be shooting what I call a spaghetti arrow, from not being stiff enough.

Shoot an Easton 2314, after you take that funky thing off the arrow shelf, and align your rest to centerline.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remember that paper testing is as much a test of your shooting form (especially how bad you' re torquing the bow) as it is a check on bow tune. If you' re sure your form isn' t the problem, then check for cam lean, limb twist, bent riser (rare problems for a new bow, especially a quality product like BowTech, but not unheard of) and I definitely agree you need to double check your arrow spine.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, the cams are in time and it didnt change anything except the back wall seems a little more solid than before and my impact point is slightly higher indicating I picked up some speed. But the main problem of the rest being way to the left is still there.

Here are some things I notice when I look at the bow. When you look at the bow from behind, the string does not line up through the middle of the limbs/riser, it lines up exactly with the left side of the riser. See pic below I know it' s hard to see but I' m square back behind the bow doesnt run through the middle it' s off to the side

I read in the Bowtech manual that the top cam is supposed to lean a little " to the cable rod side" . Here' s a pic of the top cam, what I notice is that the string doesnt feed into the cam straight on and the cam is displaced significanly to the left by a bushing (the bottom cam is exactly the same). Heres the pic

pdq 5oh, does your DC Pat look like this?

forgot to add: I' m shooting Easton Carboneros 400' s cut at 27.5 inches w/100 grn tips.

thanks
Old 04-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aye, definitely something wrong. My guess is arow spine. What arrows are shooting? point weight? vanes/feathers? etc.

Quick Reply: Tuning my new DC Pat, does this look right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.