Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

underspined?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default underspined?

82nd airborn, set on 68 lbs, arrows are 28.5", and draw is 30". No matter what I do, my broadheads hit 3 - 4" right of my field points. This leads me to beleive I'm underspined. The arrows are carbon express terminator lite select 60/75's. Can anyone recommend me an arrow approx the same overall weight? (400 grains ish)
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: underspined?

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

82nd airborn, set on 68 lbs, arrows are 28.5", and draw is 30". No matter what I do, my broadheads hit 3 - 4" right of my field points. This leads me to beleive I'm underspined. The arrows are carbon express terminator lite select 60/75's. Can anyone recommend me an arrow approx the same overall weight? (400 grains ish)
Before you go and spend money for new arrows why don't you try something. Try turning the weight down on the bow. Take about two turns off the limbs and see if anything changes. This might at least confirm for you that the spine is weak.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
bigcountry

I myself do not think you are underspined, but I do believe you need to move your rest to the riser 1/8" or so.

And if you are using blazers, try rotating thier orientation to make sure you don't have clearance issues. Have you tried shooting bareshafts and see where they hit compared to fletched?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with BC on this one.

The terminator lites are .342 spined. With your DL and arrow length you are right about there.....mabye just a hair on the weak side but nothing to write home about.

I would try walkback tuning to get your rest position set correctly for your broadheads.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Update. Shot a bare shaft and it too went 4" right of my field points, and moving the rest to the left and right didnt close the gap any. Turning the bolts out two turns did close the gap. I'm in need of new arrows anyways, as I only have5 left, sowhen I get new ones, I'd prefer to at least have the option of maxing down my bow and still getting good flight. I do have an elk hunt planned in the fall.I'd much prefer to shoot it at 68 lbs, its where I feel most comfortable.

So I would assume I need to go to a .300 spine? How are the blackhawk vaper pro shafts? Or would I be better off going to a gold tip 75/95? Any recommendations?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:06 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

Update. Shot a bare shaft and it too went 4" right of my field points, and moving the rest to the left and right didnt close the gap any. Turning the bolts out two turns did close the gap. I'm in need of new arrows anyways, as I only have5 left, sowhen I get new ones, I'd prefer to at least have the option of maxing down my bow and still getting good flight. I do have an elk hunt planned in the fall.I'd much prefer to shoot it at 68 lbs, its where I feel most comfortable.

So I would assume I need to go to a .300 spine? How are the blackhawk vaper pro shafts? Or would I be better off going to a gold tip 75/95? Any recommendations?
This doesn't make any sense. I know alot of guys shooting the 82nd, and I have, but never needed a stiffer spine than .340". But the proof is in the pudding. I know gold tip makes some .300" spined arrows.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

After running numbers on the 82nd for blackstick,you are probably way underspined.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the numbers on the shaft say 7595, but unless one of the other guys correct me I would not recommend them. I've never gotten real technical with them but everything I've read says the 7595 is a 340 spine, which is basically what you are now shooting. Even GT's website lists them as a .340 spine.

Maybe TFox can run the numbers.

In the Gold Tip line you can shoot the Ultralite 300 or the 22 series shafts, which are also a 300 spine. Both are light weight, so this might not suit your application. There are other ways of increasing the arrows' weight though. Another option GT has, if you're interested is their CAA shaft (carbon aluminum arrow). These are real close in specs and quality to Easton ACC's without the heavy price tag. Might be a good balance between speed and weight for penetration.

Just out of curiosity, when you dropped the weight on the bow just how much closer were the bare shafts hitting to field points?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Carbon Tech Whitetail XP65/80 is a .300 spine, 9.5 gr per inchand a very, very good arrow. Consistant spine and straightness across the dozen. I cut these arrows to 30" and have no wobble.

http://www.carbontecharrows.com/

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_79_65_86&products_id =1571
Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am showing you to need about a .290 spine at that arrow length and draw weight.Provided you are achieving optimal performance which I would bet you are close to.

I would drop a couple #'s and shoot a 300 shaft.

I agree with BG completely.

Quick Reply: underspined?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.