Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Bowpress?

Old 11-30-2008, 08:56 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: New Bowpress?

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

If you're after the best, I'd be after the X press.
Problem that was pointed out to me about the X press was setup time. If you pressing the same bows over and over again, then no issue. But, Len in MD showed us how it takes a few min to setup for different bows. And with the apple, only takes seconds. Also, when I looked at buying the Xpress, it was little bulkier than the apple.

Either one would work great for me. As I don't press several bows every day.

Actually the slickest bow press I have seen is the EZ bow press. But I wouldn't pay that much money for one.

I thought someone on here bought one.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Actually the slickest bow press I have seen is the EZ bow press. But I wouldn't pay that much money for one.

If I ever get any kind of "extra money" LOL the EZ press is the one I am getting .

I think Greg/MO was talking about getting one.

http://lastchancearchery.com/EZ%201.html
Old 11-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

If you're after the best, I'd be after the X press.
Problem that was pointed out to me about the X press was setup time. If you pressing the same bows over and over again, then no issue. But, Len in MD showed us how it takes a few min to setup for different bows. And with the apple, only takes seconds. Also, when I looked at buying the Xpress, it was little bulkier than the apple.

Either one would work great for me. As I don't press several bows every day.

Bingo.

The worst thing about an X-press is the fact you need to also buy a third arm to attach to your chest to adjust the thing. It does take some doing... but you can get the hang of it after a while.

The EZ Press is great if you are just putting in a peep or leeches or whatever, but if I am doing something that requires me to take the limbs or string off.... the EZ press is not the best tool.

We have an EZ Press here at the shop, and we also have an old rope and wench style press that is the easiest press to use I have ever seen. It will press almost anything but the centerpivot bows. I actually like that thing better than an X Press, and its a hell of a lot less expensive. Best is a relative term.... Sure-Loc has the name and the aww... but you can safely press a bow with lots of different things if you know what the hell you are doing.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie
... but you can safely press a bow with lots of different things if you know what the hell you are doing.
And you can destroy a riser if you don't...
Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 AM

I looked at the EZ press and it seems to be a good choice because it is designed for higher draw weight bows as opposed to the Power Press, which can only do 70#. I think I will get the EZ press delux model becuase it lets you turn the bow into the vertical position, which I know would be convenient. Just wondering why you don't think it is the best tool for taking off the string/ limbs. Please explain this to me.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

At the advice of many here we recently purchased an EZ press standard for use in our store. It is by far the easiest press I have ever used. It takes up minimal space, presses bows up to 90 pounds, adjusts for limb tip width,adjusts for limb twist so you are pressing the limbs perfectly square every time, very minimaladjusting ofparts around for different bows, will press any bow currently manufactured.

Like SC pointed out is that by pressing on the limb tips the attachments get in the way of the cams and removing the strings and cables is a little more troublesome. ButI suspect that any press that presses at the limb tips is going to be in the way so it's kind of moot point.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Black Stick

I looked at the EZ press and it seems to be a good choice because it is designed for higher draw weight bows as opposed to the Power Press, which can only do 70#. I think I will get the EZ press delux model becuase it lets you turn the bow into the vertical position, which I know would be convenient. Just wondering why you don't think it is the best tool for taking off the string/ limbs. Please explain this to me.
When you press a bow in the EZ Press... the tips of the limbs are in those rubber fingers, and frankly its a PITA to work on much of anything.

When you totally relax the limbs on a parrell limb bow, it changes the side of the limb exposed to the fingers.... rather than putting pressure on a flat surface on the backside of the limb... you are now putting pressure often right on the squared off side of the limb. When you press it... it will gradually slide... I am frankly a bit spooky around bow presses anyway, despite almost a decade of using them pretty much full time.... but when they MOVE... no way jack... I treat it like its a live hand grenade. Had to replace the limbs on an X Force using one.... its a little scary.

What bigbulls is talking about is and isn't true. Look at the white press on the first page of this thread... the fingers are on the backsides of the limbs... on the EZ Press they come right up in line with the axels... and they are frequently right in the way. Unless you mount the thing on something you can walk 360 degrees around, it's a chore sometimes. But as bigbulls pointed out too... its definately pretty easy to use... but it isn't totally idiot proof either.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:47 PM

I know what you mean about being press shy. This new guy at Gander was trying to press a new Bowtech in the X-press with the wrong USL kit. He was replacing the strings and cables. Just as he got the strings and cables completely off, one of the limbs slipped off. So yes, it is not idiot proof, but I know what to look for.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will be getting the EZ Press Deluxe.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 PM
bigcountry

Dadgone black, your going to buy a 1000 dollar press, then a ram spine tester and other goodies. Did you win the lotto?

Old 11-30-2008, 02:16 PM

No, I'm a hard worker, single, and I like archery.