Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Many Thanks to PABowhuntr!

Old 03-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Many Thanks to PABowhuntr!

I was able to have the great pleasure of meeting PABowhuntr (Frank)

He was nice enough to bring his chronograph to the shop where he works so I could see about the speed of my crazy contraption " Frankenstein." [&:]

His chrono registered 273 fps with my lightest arrow (367gr.) @ 60#, 30" draw. That also was shooting through a Whisker Biscuit. OK, its no Bowtech, but not too bad for a collection of parts that set me back a whopping $85

I also got a pack of Rocket Hammerheads in hopes of drawing some Turkey blood with them in about a month. This will be my hunting bow for the time being.[8D]

Frank is a great guy to meet. We talked as much as time would allow. He even showed me his current bow that many of you were wondering about.

If I tell you what it is, he would have to shoot me, so you are just going to have to wait.

I did get to handle and draw some cool new bows like the Golden Eagle Obsession and other NAAG bows, but I really liked the Hoyt Cam.5 bows. They had the Dynatec and the Razortec, and if I wasn' t such a cheap guy, I probably would have bought one of them. The draw on them is very smooth, very similar to the cams on Frankenstein, but with a bit more letoff. I didn' t ask to shoot one, because I did have my credit card along, and you know what that can lead to. For anyone out there who is curious about the new Hoyts, and is not crazy enough to try to put a bow together from parts purchased from Ebay, I would say they are pretty impressive.

Again it was great to meet Frank. Definitely a class act.[8D]

One more thing. Frank did shoot my bow, just 3 shots. It wasn' t set up anything like his bow, and he claimed he wasn' t really aiming, but I almost had to buy a new nock, so it sure looks to me like the guy can shoot!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Many Thanks to PABowhuntr!

Jeff,

Thank you for the kind words. I apologize for not getting to this sooner but both Saturday and Sunday were very busy for me. Speaking of being busy, I also want to apologize for not really having enough time to " sit down and talk" with you about Frankenstein and just shoot the ---- in general. I would have liked that. Heck, we could have had both your boys shooting back on the range before we were finished.

I am glad I was able to help somewhat though. That bow of yours really does draw back and shoot very nicely. I was really surprised when you mentioned those were the old Black Knight cams on there...... a big difference from what I remember of the Pat Dual cams that I was shooting earlier this year.

Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to get together again soon.

Oh, and folks, Jeff is a really nice gentleman to talk to as well. He definitely has some talent as I, for one, could not have put a bow like that together myself.

Thanks again Jeff. I really did enjoy finally getting to meet you.

Frank
Old 03-31-2003, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey JOE PA, what did you use to put together your " frankenstein" ?

If I missed this on another post I appologize but was kind of curious.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am sure he will correct me if I am wrong but I believe he used a Golden Eagle canted grip riser in addition to Alpine split limbs and original Oregon Black Knight Cams. I think he has basic Fast flight string/cables on there but was planning on installing 450 sometime soon. I could be wrong though as it was a little busy when we were talking about it.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls:

The combo is a Golden Eagle Natural Series riser, which BTW, I measured @ 5/8" of reflex. It does have the angle grip, but I removed the rubber grip and am planning to make one out of laminated walnut. Shooting bare riser right now.

When I first posted about this, it was in January, I think. I then had Alpine #5 split limbs on the bow, but have since acquired Alpine camo #4 limbs. I shimmed them so that there is virtually no gap with the limb pockets at all.

The cams are supposed to be from an Oregon Black Knight. They sure look like the right ones, although they don' t seem to draw nearly as harsh as I would have expected. I think part of the explanation for that is that I had to put them into a position where I could get the right draw length for me. I am guessing that these cams would yield a much more aggressive draw curve if I had 1" shorter cables on the bow, but then the draw length would be too long for me. I will go with the setup as is until I can get or make new modules that are right for my draw length with the more forward rotated cams. At any rate, the draw is aggressive, but smooth. It is similar to a Hoyt Cam.5 or Darton CPS IMO.

I was a bit dissapointed in the speed until I really started to think about it. The bow will peak at 66# with the limbs bottomed. I was shooting it @60 exactly on Saturday. The other arrows were a little better for kinetic energy. A 407 gr. @263 and a 507 @240. The latter was good for 64+ ft. lbs out of a 60# bow. It is about 5 fps faster than my 61# Darton Maverick was, and that bow was totally bottomed out. It is also much quieter and has less recoil than the Maverick had. If my shoulder continues to get better from the tendonitis that I have had, I think that I could shoot it @ 65#, and it should really rip an arrow at that weight. It is also the only bow I have owned that can hang with my Darton Vipers accuracy wise. This just started as a " see what I can do" project. I am very pleased with the way it has turned out.

And Frank, that little bit of upward kick that you noticed is there with just the Stealth on it. If I put my shortie version of the Enhancer 2000 (that I got from Bruce) on the end of the Stealth, it sits prettly still in the hand. Especially for a non- parallel limb/VFT and 2 cam setup! It looks a little goofy sitting on the end of a very good stabilizer, but It probably would make it shoot a little better, although the bow shoots pretty decent without any stabilizer on it.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff,

That little bit of recoil was very minor in my opinion and did not in any way affect the overall shooting " performance" of the bow. I am glad to hear though that the E2000 totally eliminated it. I had a similar experience with the E2000 on the Razortec.