Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow tuning questions for Reflex bow

Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 AM
mountaineer magic

Default bow tuning questions for Reflex bow

I just bought a new Redhead XPS 34 bow which is made by Reflex for BassPro. I live over a 120 miles from a shop so I ordered on line. Unfortunately it did not come set up as expected. I have a couple of questions because reflex doesn't give any info online or in the owners manual.
#1 In setting the draw weight how many turns do you back it off to get to minimum draw weight? It is at maximum right now. Can it be backed off to much? I know my pSE is a maximum of 4 turns. The reflex manual doesn't say
#2 The FX 1 1/2 cam can be adjusted for draw length without a bowpress but the screw happens to sit under the limb. Can I just draw the bow enough so that some one can remove the screw so I can shorten the draw length?
Thanks for any help as 240 mile round trip is a little far for a bow tune up. I wish the manual was more helpful.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:22 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: bow tuning questions for Reflex bow

Without a bowscale handy, I wouldn't go down more than 3 turns. In fact, to be safe don't go down more than 2.5 turns. Your basically adjusing blindly now.

Not sure about your second question.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 AM

I'd try to speak to someone at Reflex who knows the answers since your manual doesn't go into great enough detail.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 PM

Chet,

You can go up to 4 turns easily on your reflex. I am going to respectfully disagree with BigC on this one A scale really has nothing to do with it other than suggested poundage. I used to be a staff shooter for this company and I know the limb bolts are good for up to 6 turns without issue, but I would say 4 to be safe. The key is to do it 1/2 turn per limb at a time. Be sure to make a mark on the limb bolt straight up before turning, then turn the line from up to down then back up, etc.... You will get aprox 3-4lbs of wt change per turn. Be sure to check your nock and that your cables stay good and tight if you go up to 4 or so turns. You may have a set screw in the side of the riser that tightens down on the limb bolt itself. They did this in the reflex line for a time, not sure about the BPS editions.

As for the draw length, have someone else take the screw out while you barely pull the string, it won't take much. Ideally you should use a press.

If you are going to drop the draw length it will effect the poundage and possibly vice versa. I would back off the poundage first though and this may get that screw out where you can get to it without any acrobatics.

Others may know more or even dispute my advice, and that's fine, maybe someone with one of these bows will come on and teach us all a lesson!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:33 PM

you best bet would be to take it to a reputable local bow shop since it kinda sound like you've never worked on a bow before ,if you back off on the limb bolt too much ,you can cause damage to the bow and yourself ,and in order to take that screw out I wouldn't do it without a bowpress.
DO NOT draw the bow and have someone take the screw out you could be seriously injured!!