Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech guys, a ? for ya

Old 03-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bowtech guys, a ? for ya

I was at one of the local shops today and the owner picked up the Bowtech line (I would like to think partially due to my recommendation that he do so last year). Anyway, this guy is a bit of an old curmudgeon and likes to complain. I was asking him how he likes the Bowtech line and he said his only complaint is that they are all 6 fps slower than what their " birth certificate" states. I asked him all the usual questions about the arrow he is using (349.5 grains), weight, items on string, etc. and everything seemed to be the same. He said he called the factory and they are even using the same type of chronograph as him. My question is, do you thing his chrony is just slow? That seems like the only reasonable explanation to me. What do you guys think?
Old 03-28-2003, 02:42 PM

Default RE: Bowtech guys, a ? for ya

The test results that come from the Bowtech factory are tested from the bare bow, no peep sight, or anything else on the string, and yes there may be the same brand Chrono but that doesn' t mean the results will be the same, there are usually a few feet difference in most of the Chronys you will test. Hope this helps and why worry about five or six fps it won' t make that much a difference after you set the bow up to shoot properly.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the downloadable owners manaul on bowtechs website it list the following reductions in speed per string acceeory...
brass nock- 4-5 fps
peep sight- 3-6 fps
string silencer- 4-8 fps
e-buttons- 2 fps
rubber peep tube- 6-10 fps
string loop- 1-3 fps

I remember reading somewhere on my owners manual that the birth certificate speed was obtained with nothing but a tied on nock point. I can only assume tied on = as few strands as possible. If that is so, then the above chart shows up to 5 fps loss with a brass knock. Thats probably the differance right there.

I would like to add that the blackhawk I looked at had a 295fps on it' s birth certificate with the following stats- 28.5" draw, 70# pull, 350 grain arrow and WITH HUSH KIT INSTALLED.
I must commend them for shooting the bow the way they mailed it.

Take a look at a birth certificate and you will see that what was used is in black and white.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:02 PM

The above posts are probably right. I' ll add though that I have seen as much as a 10 fps difference between chrono' s !
Old 03-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Logic tells me it' s his chrono.

I mean if they are all off by the same exact amount...in this case 6 FPS....The odds of just normal production variances causing the same exact speed drop for several different bows is extremely low.

And yes chrono' s can vary, and do need to be re-calibrated over time.In fact most give a plus or minus percentage simliar to grain weight ratings for arrows +/-2% for example.

Old 03-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the responses guys. Here is how he was testing the bows.
Bare arrow weighing 349.5 grains
Single tied in nock set
Bare string (he doesn' t have the hush kits on any of his bows)

I could care less about the variation and the fact that it is the same on each and every bow he tests tells me that it is most likely a discrepency in the chronographs. He was just POed because he felt they were misrepresenting themselves by not living up to what they stated on the birth certificates. Next time I see him I' ll tell him not to worry about it, but like I said, he is an old curmudgeon so I don' t expect to get anywhere.

Any input Bowtech Shooter?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you take the +/- 2% of the crono that works out at about 6fps.
Tell him to get it recalibrated.
Gee 6fps is nothing to lose any sleep over

But then again some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about []
Old 03-28-2003, 10:58 PM

My brother in law is a dealer and not one bow was ever wrong. it shot what was on the birth certificate. It sounds like this guy just wants to complain to complain.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Our local Bowtech dealer has sold 20 plus bows so far this year,not ONE of them has fallen short of the speed on the birth cert. Sounds like a dealer who doesn' t know what he' s talking about,or doesn' t want to sale very many bows???[>:]