Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

suggestions please?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:19 PM

Default suggestions please?

okay,so i decided not to go with a used bow.ive made my mind up and i am just going to spend a good amount of money and do it right the first time.so,what im looking for here is some ideas/suggestions on a decent set up for me.im going to be target shooting 90%-95% of the time and i may go hunting a few days next year but unsure.mainly will be used for having fun,maybe some league shooting or competitions.id like to only spend about &1,000 to $1,100 on the whole setup,which would be including the bow,rest,sight,release,and atleast a half a dozen arrows.

I was thinking about getting a Bear Truth 2 Dark Horse for $700.00,then spending about $100.00on a sight,$100 on a drop away rest,$70.00 on a release,and $45.00-$70.00 on some arrows(figure ill get cheapies til i perfect my skills in case i bend a bunch of them i can replace them easier)

What are your opinions on the bow i selected?also,what specific sight,rest,release,and arrows would you guys recomend?

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out here.

-JayDee
Old 11-01-2008, 03:04 AM

Default RE: suggestions please?

First of all, I would never recommend a bow that you didn't first shoot. I say go to a proshop, or several actually and shoot several different brands. Get a feel for them. The most important thing about how well a bow will do for you is how it fits you. I think the grip is the most important part and draw/release cycle feel is second. See how it balances in your hand. That said, the one you mentioned (to me) has a great grip. Some Bears do not.
Overall it seems to be a good quality workhorse of a bow, much like a Darton or Martin is. They are sort of like a Savage rifle. Used to be cheaper but a decent servicable weapon. A little rough around the edges and heavy. Now they cost the same as the others but still don't seem to have the feel and fit and finish as those bigger name bows (guns) costing the same amount. That said, try a Hoyt, a Mathews and a Bowtec before you buy. These are the "Big3" of archery right now and have distinctly different feels to the grip, balance and shot cycle.

As for accessories, see what the shop has and what better fits the bow you choose. I like Shaky Hunter Fallaway rests personally. Many like the QAD brand rests. As for Sights, make sure it is rugged and has lots of fiberoptic material for each pin. I like HHA sights. They are TOUGH and BRIGHT. Consider a movable pin sight especially if you plan to shoot indoorand 3D leagues. One pin is much better for indoor, just set it and forget it. For hunting and 3D there is no pin confusion. Set it for your yardage and shoot. Or preset it at the distance you expect an animal to show up and then if you can't adjust for some other shot you can learn Kentucky Windage. If not an HHA look at Cobra they are very good value for the dollar. SpottHogg are good sights as well as Toxonics. I used to be sponsored by Toxonics. Very good microadjust sights but to honest they are a bit complex in the top end models.

Be sure to put Limbsavers on you bow if you buy one that doesn't come with a similar device. They are not only good for quieting the bow but for easing felt vibration and overall prolonging bow life.

Don't order your stuff for a first setup like this. Go try and buy and do so from a reputable dealer. If you don't know one. Let us know where you live and see if someone from nearby can hook you up.

Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: suggestions please?

The only thing I would suggest differently is to use some decent carbon arrows-just for the durability and fact that they won't bend. This is just my personal choice of carbons over aluminums as the debate still rages and will continue to do so for some time. Another idea is to look at mission,reflex, and a few other lines of bows that work great but cost less.