Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hey buckmagnet, got my new bowtech and it' s a ....

Old 03-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hey buckmagnet, got my new bowtech and it' s a ....

I finally got the call that the blackhawk I had ordered had come in. So I drove over an hour to the shop and proceded to shoot the blackhawk and the mghtymite back to back.
The black hawk is very light at 2.85#.
The mighty mite was heavier, but not that bad, I think it was 3.8#.
They both shot the same with the blackhawk having a little less kick after the shot.
The 28.5" ata on the blackhawk made the string really far from my face at my 29" draw. I could tell the peep was going to be a further distance away than what I' m used to.

After setting both bows at 29" and 65#, I proceded to shoot MY arrows through the chronograph. The mighty mite was only 7 fps faster than the blackhawk, posting a 268 and 261. Both of their speeds seemed a little low to me as my two current bows shoot the same arrows at 255(67# Mathews) and 250(65# reflex).

The birth cirtificate on the MM showed it at 323. My z-light came with a 300 ibo, yet the MM slings the arrow only 13 fps faster?? I guess to get a better comparison I need to crank the MM up to 67#' s.

I ended up picking the MIGHTY MITE. It' s a 2002 so it still has the winners choice stings and cables. The only reason I chose it over the blackhawk was the 2" more ata and the little numbers that came across the chrony.
Speed = the wrong reason to pick a bow, I know. But that' s what it came down to.

He set this bow up with the hush kit and I' ve read in the past to ditch it. Should I pull all of them off, or leave the ones on the cables at least?
I allready pushed the limb rubber things to the limb pockets and installed some limb savers. I also attatched a 4" doinker to the bow, but have yet to shoot it since adding these two.

Any further suggestions for this bow?
Old 03-27-2003, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Hey buckmagnet, got my new bowtech and it' s a ....

We had better results with the VibraBlocks at mid-limb position on my wife' s LadyHawk. At that location they seemed to make the bow quieter. What was the weight of your arrows?
Old 03-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I remember correctly they are ~435 grains total. I will weigh them again when I get home.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:59 PM

Hey DaveC,

Congrats on the bow man. As far as the speed goes, that does seem low. I shot mine set at 60# and 30" draw with a 394.4 grain arrow and was pulling 289 f.p.s out of it. When it was bumped up to my current pull, 72# with my 30" draw and a 420 grain arrow, it was pulling between 301 and 305 f.p.s. I am not sure why your bow is slower, but, I would ask the pro-shop where you got it.

As far as the hush kit. I scrapped everything (before I read that you should leave the Vibra-Blocks on). It is just heavier and slows down arrow speed. I took it all off though. I have put on Simms Cable Rod Dampeners, a Simms Virgin Teflon Cable Slide (you definetly want to get one of these as the factory cables slides are junk), and, with my Doinker 7" Stealth Stabilizers and Limb Savers, this bow is entirely shock free. And heck, I still don' t have my Simms String Leechs, Simms Insulator Wrap, Simms Mini (Accessory) Limb Savers, and my Simms Stabilizer Enhancer on.

If you compare the Mathews and your MightyMite though, if you added the 2 pounds of draw weight to the MM like the Mathews has, your gonna add roughly 5 f.p.s. So, that puts the MM up to around 273. If you take the hush kit off and add cat whiskers or String leechs, you will probablly gain another couple feet per second, so, that will put you over the 275 f.p.s. mark. Which puts it at 20 f.p.s. faster or more. I still think it should be faster than that though. I would expect your set-up to be getting in the mid 280 to upper 280 range. Talk to the pro-shop about it. Another guy on the board had the same problem with his Patriot, and, he talked to his pro-shop about it. Well, they got back to BowTech about it, and, BowTech replaced the bow with one that performing as he had expected.

As far as silencers and dampeners go, you may want to ask someone else, I am very partial to Simms. All the dampeners on my bow are Simms, except the Stabilizer, and I am pretty sure that my Doinker uses Simms technology.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well crap, that blows. I left the place knowing it was shooting less than desired, but just kind of figured that was it.
Your math looks good and all I should expect is 23 feet per second faster than my mathews with equal settings.

One thing I failed to mention is the speeds were obtained using his chrony and comparing them to the speeds of my mathews on my chrony- there could be deviation between the two.

I guess I need to crank it up to 70 and see what it' ll do.

I do think the birth certificates are very cheesy and could be easliy duplicated and doctered by the dealer.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

DaveC,
NOTHING wrong with your bow........
Here' s why.
That speed rating of 323fps?........you' d better check that certificate again, because a Mighty Mite will not rate at that speed in a 29" model. A 323fps speed rating will be for a 30" model. I know I owned one at 30" .
I suspect that your dealer swapped out the 30" module for the 29" that you needed for your draw length.
The advertised speed rating for the 2002 Mighty Mite is 316-324fps and thats at 30" /70#
At 323fps your model would be " Hot" even if it was a 30" .
You should realistically be looking at around 313fps " Test rating" for YOUR bow.
In other words if the bow you are now holding came directly from the factory with a 29" module in it the " Birth Certificate" would say around 313fps.........NOT 323fps
* Also,The removal of the hush kit will gain you probably 5-6 fps immediately.*

Your numbers at 65# / 29" and 435grs = 69ft lbs of KE which is EXCELLENT for a 65#/29" bow!
Consider your REAL test speed of around 313fps.......that equates out to 76ft lbs of KE. That' s only a little less than 7ft lbs difference from your number with 5lbs less draw weight.
Relax........you just need a better grasp on those numbers you were looking at. Don' t bother taking it back because you think something is wrong.
Not a thing wrong with that bow.........shoot it and enjoy it!!![:-]
Old 03-28-2003, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wheww, now I can deflate.
Yes the 323 was at 70.2#, 30" draw, 350 grain arrow.

Once again, I don' t place much faith in the birth certificate as it looked easy to duplicate and fill in the blank with what ever the deceiver wanted to put in. They need a seal of approval or something.

I realized the numbers would be less for my draw and watched the shop owner change the module at my request to 29" .

As far as the hush kit goes, how much do the string silencers weigh?
I have in my notebook a previously weighed cat whisker string silencer and it came in at 24 grains. Do the hush kit silencers weigh more than that?
Does the silencer that is on the cable reduce speed?
I' m gonna leave the one at the Y in the cables as I cannot see it affecting speed any as that part doesn' t move.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the way. The blackhawks birth certificate showed 295 with a 28.5" module, 70# draw 350 grain arrow WITH hush kit installed. It was impressive to see.