Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep with a No-Peep?

Old 03-26-2003, 04:05 PM

Default Peep with a No-Peep?

Couldn' t stand it any longer - I bought a no peep from timberline archery and it will arrive in two days. No one in this area has a no-peep sight for guidance and I am so used to using a peep, that I have an idea (maybe not a good one - who knows?). I had a new larger diameter peep installed, drilling out the diameter of the peep further to where I can see beyond my entire sight window when at full draw. My guess is that since I can see my entire sight window (with no problem), seeing the no peep shouldn' t be a problem if it is mounted above my sights; furthermore, this lets more than enough light in through the peep. This should (again - it' s a guess) make sighting in the no-peep easier, and I should still feel comfortable with my present form. I have read other posts regarding new users of the no-peep, and the main complaint was getting used to looking around the string instead of through it. I have a Mathews FX - 29.5" draw, with a cobra 3 pin sight. Who out there thinks this might/might not work and why? I' ll post after I try it out regardless of outcome.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Peep with a No-Peep?

Roseaukaine,
I wouldn' t worry about the peep. Take it off. The secret to using the NoPeep is getting used to ignoring it. If you are still looking through the peep , you' re defeating the purpose of the NoPeep. I put one on last month, and went out and shot a few dozen arrows. It was a little different, but didn' t take a lot to get used to it. Just for kicks, I threw the peep back on and drew back. How did I ever see through that thing??! Just after a few dozen arrows, I had already adapted to the NoPeep. The peep came off for good. I recently have been shooting both eyes open with the NoPeep, and like it even more than before. When you get the NoPeep, be sure to read the directions thoroughly, they give a lot of time and frustration saving tips, that will make set up that much easier. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck, and loose the peep!
Charlie
Old 03-26-2003, 07:33 PM

Roseaukaine,

That is exactly how I have mine. I see it through my peep. I have the no-peep mounted as high as it will go.

The level on the no-peep is a plus. the no-peep tells me if I' m torqued, or creeping with the string. I consider the no-peep just another anchor for me. It along with the peep is overkill, but it is deadly accurate.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:24 PM

I like my no-peep, and have recommended it many times on this sight......

However, when shooting indoor spots this winter with it I could not get my average above 285[X(], mid league I added the peep back on and am now shooting mid to high 290' s out of my hunting set up Patriot.

A peep sight IMO is just a little better for tight accuracy. i left the no-peep on, and see no problem in doing so. I still get the torque benefits from it.

This summer I will go to a 1/4" peep, and really test the low light advantages of each. I may hunt with both.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:18 PM

Roseaukaine: I think you' re ' right on' with the way you' re approaching the No-Peep. It was only because I used a large peep in conjunction with the No-Peep that I was able to determine that the No-Peep wouldn' t stay locked down. I know the manufacturer says to eliminate the peep, but I respectfully went against their recommendation and am glad I did.

If you find that the No-Peep never moves, it might behove you to try it w/o the peep. Like you, I also like the additional anchor points.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:43 AM

I really like the idea of elimating the peep and I' m leaning toward the Hind-sight, http://www.hindsightco.com I posted and asked for more feed back on one but didn' t get much response. Seems the hund-sight forces you to make a accurate shot as you still have to align 2 sights like using a peep and you don' t have to look up & down from the sight and no-peep as with the timberline. Well just a thought still lookin for more opinions, thanx
Old 03-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

The one thing I did not like about the hind sight is the fact that you have to keep it aligned with a single pin in your sight, not necessarily the one you are aiming with. I saw that as a likely place to make a critical aiming error during a high pressure situation.

I instead opted for the no peep. I have not had any problems with it moving, at least in the past month or so. The new version locks down pretty securely. I would think my sight would move before the no peep would.

As far as consistency, the no peep helped tremendously. I can now see when I torque the bow as well as don' t anchor correctly. I can' t comment on the absoloute accuracy as compared to a peep as my form problems far outweighed any accuracy issues between the two sighting systems.

The one thing I did really like about the no peep was it' s size. Of the non peep type sights it is certainly the smallest, lightest and least likely to get hung up in the brush.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:52 PM

Regarding the size of the peep I will be using, it was originally 1/4" , but I drilled it out to the limit - about 1/2" , maybe more. When I am at full draw, I can almost see half of my riser. I am assuming that this large field of view through the peep will let me acquire the no-peep and sights quickly (although not as quickly as without the peep). I' ve never seen one (no-peep) before, so this is all speculation. I just can' t imagine coming to full draw any other way.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:43 PM

Got it today and put it on. Pretty easy to set up considering I' ve never seen one before. Didn' t get to shoot it until dark - pretty impressive so far; I' m able to see perfectly through the enlarged peep - even in the dark (well, I did have a 60 watt bulb for backlight aid). I still need to adjust the sights, but I made the mistake of shooting 4 arrows (total of 12 shots) at the same spot from 15 yards - result? I need to replace one nock and two other arrows need new fletchings (now I didn' t hit was I was aiming for, but the arrows all were grouped tight up and to the left). It really does point out my flaws. I thought that it moved a couple of times, but then I relaxed, drew again, and it came right online. After I " tweak" it tommorrow, I' ll post again.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:25 PM
Typical Buck

I made the mistake of shooting 4 arrows (total of 12 shots) at the same spot from 15 yards - result? I need to replace one nock and two other arrows need new fletchings
You' re lucky . . . in one outing I shot up 5 arrows for new nocks and fletchings and shot one arrow in half. and I was hitting where I was aiming. I just love to see tight groups.[]

I dumped my peep sight and am amazed with the changes it has made for me. It even reminds me when I don' t have my bow arm bent properly.