Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

When the drop-away should drop

Old 03-29-2003, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: When the drop-away should drop

RackAttack makes a good point. I read on Spott Hogg' s site, of some test that they did with cord operated drop aways. They said that they got much better results using peep tubing as the cord, as it has a little stretch to it.
Charlie
Old 03-29-2003, 10:11 PM

Petersons bow hunting (page 75) Issue may/june 2003. there is a highlighted article explaining how to adjust your dropaway rest in this months issue if you have gotten it. I agree with this article as it has worked for me many times in the past.

~DREW~
Old 03-31-2003, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Not that there is a direct correlation but...
I read with interest Pinwheel' s and others opinions about how the arrow should stay on the rest as long as possible for better arrow stability in flight (one of the reasons he doesn' t like dropaways). Currently, my set-up drops the rest out of the way WELL ahead of when it would have to--the shop said that' s the way they always install them.
Think about a space rocket or other large missle on a launch pad. At the point of ignition the " rest" that holds the rocket upright " falls away" immediately, it does not ride up the side of the rocket scraping the entire length of the thing. Granted, these are computer guided, but never-the-less the " rest" has done it' s job and that is to hold the thing straight until such time as momentum begins to do its job.
The sooner the rest gets out of the way, the better flight your arrow will have. And of course minimize the effect torquing your bow can assert (adversly) on your arrow flight.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Malubner
Sorry but I totally Disagree with your philosiphy how the rest works best.
If we were shooting arrows strait up in the air well then I would agree however that is not the case and there is this little thing called gravity we have to contend with
The rest SHOULD NOT start falling until the bow is fully into the power stroke for if the rest drops too soon the arrow will drop as well. in fact the rest should drop just inches from the fletching Idealey 75% into the power stroke before it drops.