Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Repairing carbons?

Old 03-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Repairing carbons?

I recently bought a dozen Terminator Selects 4560' s. After shooting them for less than 2 weeks, I' ve discovered cracks in 2 of them. In both cases, the crack originates at the nock end and travels about 1/2" or less just about to the back of the vanes. Is there any way to repair this? I' ve considered gluing and taping the affected area, but don' t want any surprizes when I shoot. I could also remove the vanes and cut off the affected area, but that would change the arrow weight/stiffness. Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2003, 02:30 PM

Default RE: Repairing carbons?

Don' t be so cheap[]
Old 03-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had the same thing happen to a couple of mine I just filled the crack with a dab of epoxy glue and then pull out thenock wipe off the excess and let it cure.
But I have heard of guys using scotch tape for a quick fix. arrow wraps would also work too.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rack-attack--they ain' t cheap! I dropped about a house payment in buying the new bow with all the bell and whistle accessories and would prefer not to add to my outlay of cash if that' s possible. [8D]
Old 03-26-2003, 02:58 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn' t try to repair them. They may not be cheap but definately cheaper than doctor bills when they break and drive into your bowarm. Not good for your new bow either if one explodes when you release.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:14 PM

Like my pro shop said " The great thing about carbon over aluminum is that a carbon is either broke or good" . If your arrows are cracked, don' t risk it -- buy some new ones - one at a time if necessary. I tried several carbons before deciding on Gold Tip XT 5575. These are tough and straight! I wouldn' t shoot those arrows again!!
Old 03-27-2003, 09:34 AM
nub

I don' t want to be so blunt, but only a fool would shoot a cracked carbon. If you can' t cut off the damaged part and live with the change in length and spine, TRASH it or give them to someone who can. Tape? Glue? I' m trying not to laugh here. Surgery is not cheap. Hope you have some good insurance.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everyone else, don' t do it! Man that' s dangerous and you should never tape or glue a shaft. I bought 2 dozen Goldtips last year and 4 of them were cracked at the nock end. I had already cut 2 of them to length and fletched and installed the inserts when i found the cracks. I called Goldtip and sent them back and they replaced them with no questions asked. I took the 2 i hadn' t cut to length and cut about an inch off and they were fine. If you can' t cut them and get by with the length then i would trash them and pick up some more if you have to buy them one or two at a time.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

That' s for all the input. I was already aware of the possibility of injury in shooting cracked carbons, but the crack was very short (1/2" ) and located at a place where I thought it might be possible to repair it. I have been shooting aluminum for 25 years and know that the advances in carbons have been significant--that' s why I bought them and that' s why I threw out this question to those who are more experienced with carbon arrows. I' ll take them to my pro-shop and see if I can get by with a little bit cut off.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

I don' t really see what' s so unsafe about repairing a 1/2 inch crack, If you used 2-part epoxy, heck that stuff is stronger than the carbon itself!

Quick Reply: Repairing carbons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.