Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech General only draws 65 lb max

Old 10-26-2008, 12:27 AM

Default Bowtech General only draws 65 lb max

Hi guys I'm new to this forum and this is my first post I seem to be boggle I bough a General from Ebay that was advertize as new in the box and was spec at 29 inch draw and isthe 60 to 70 lb ver. The reason I bought it through ebay is because I live in Honolulu Hawaii and we dont have a bowtech dealer on this island and I always wanted totry a bowtech.
The person I bought it from seems to be a dealer on some sort because he sells a lot of acherey stuff on ebay, He change the draw mod from a 29 inch to a 30 inch at my request , any way when I received the bow the birthcertificatesays itis a 71 lb weight at 29 inch draw length, I took out my bow scale and only pull it at 55 lbs so I tighting up the allen head screws that connect the riser to the Limbs to the max on both ends and the new readings was only at 65lbs is there such a things as a 55lb to 65lb general?

Any comments would be appricated.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowtech General only draws 65 lb max

All I can say is, "You shoulda bought a Hoyt".

Haha, just kiddin' man. With all the arguing about which is better, Hoyt or Bowtech (Hoyt of course!), on the Bowhunting forum I had to throw that out there!

To be honest I can't help ya though, just thought I would give ya some hell! There's plenty of guys that shoot Bowtech here, so I'm sure someone will straighten ya out!

Goodluck!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Host of Hosts

In my experience new out of the box bows usually read exactly as advertised. I'm wondering if it is actually new. After the string and cables strech you can lose some poundage and draw length. You can have any bow shop (that knows how to press a bow correctly) twist your cables to increase the draw weight. It sucks that you have to do this with a supposed new bow but that is about all you can do.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:50 AM

sounds like going from the 29" draw to the 30" draw is what changed the draw weight. Sring length stayed the same but longer draw module took some of the preload off the limbs. pro shop should be able to twist up the strings for ya

Old 10-26-2008, 07:10 AM
bigcountry

I rarely see a bowscale that is calibrated. I once went out on a quest and went to 3 bowshops in my area and tested thier scales and got variances of 6 pounds.

Have you shot it at all?

But with all that said, sounds like you need to twist up your cables equally or untwist your string. Since you changed modules, you might want to do your string.

Have you checked to make sure your cams are timed correctly? I had to retime mine on my commander.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's hard to say, you can put two twist in the string and probably gain four more pounds. Just remember if you buy a Bowtech on line the warranty is void. Bowtech doesn't not allow dealers to sell on line. Like BC said, make sure the timing marks are dead on.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aero, bowtech has a problem about there limbs not reaching spec. my general only goes to 65#'s too. Lots of them are like that. i would almost gurantee that your bow is new so you shouldnt worry about that. you can take your bow to a proshop and have them contact bowtech or contact them yourself and tell them the issue. btw it should say on the sticker on your bottom limb what the poundage is. so... call bt and tell them your bow isnt maxing out and they can probably send you a new set of limbs.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 AM

Guy thanks for all the helpfull sugestions this forum is the bomb for infomation I'll think I'll leave it at 65 lbs anyway because 70lbs might be a little to much for me just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with the bow.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend checking the bow on a second scale to verify calibration.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I rarely see a bowscale that is calibrated. I once went out on a quest and went to 3 bowshops in my area and tested thier scales and got variances of 6 pounds.

Have you shot it at all?

But with all that said, sounds like you need to twist up your cables equally or untwist your string. Since you changed modules, you might want to do your string.

Have you checked to make sure your cams are timed correctly? I had to retime mine on my commander.

Moreover... if you are using an electronic scale... try hanging the bow up and hitting the tare button to compensate for the weight of the bow. If you do that, in my experience, you'll never have a bow that pulls listed weight.... seems that when they make them they don't allow for the weight of the bow.... and I've used certified scales for it too and subtracted the weight back out.

If you feel that you really need to increase the max poundage, you are going to need to twist the cables and/or untwist the string. To be perfectly honest, as long as your cam rotation/timing and specs are in order, there is little to no difference performance wise between 65 and 70#s. I know you feel kinda burned though, and I understand that, tough break, sorry for your luck. Hope you get it all straight.

Quick Reply: Bowtech General only draws 65 lb max

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.