Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broadhead not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: Michbowhunter

It's possible for a bow to be in tune, and still have flight problems with fixed blades. Fixed blade broadheads often do not fly like bullet points.... if that is what you're looking for, go to mechanicals.

I used to shoot muzzys and loved them, but I had a similar problem once I switched to carbons. Rather than making adjustments between practice and hunting, I switched to a mechanical.

TheGrim Reapers have some similarities with muzzys, like the trocar (bone crushing) tip, only the Reapers have razors in the tip as well for added penetration, and I can assure you, they fly IDENTICAL tobullet points.

Good luck!
And what happens when you go somewhere that mechanicals are illegal? You'll have to learn how to tune a bow. I'll beat this dead horse again, just 'cause I've been dealing with broadhead tuning issues all week for people and the mechanical "fix" is not an option here. If your fixed blades aren't impacting with your field points, there is some kind of tuning issue.
First of all, I hunt with mechanicals because I truly believe they are superior, and for me, there is no reason to use fixed-blades. But I'm curious toknow, do you honestly believe that fixed-blades always fly "identical" to bullet points on abow that is properly tuned?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:19 AM

Default RE: Broad head not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I hunted for years with thunder heads and had no problem getting them to group with field points out of my well tuned bows. This year I'm using the G5 montec heads and they group with my Field point out to 30 yards any way and cut the vanes right off each other and if I shoot a field point it go right into the middle of the group out to 30 yards. Done it a hundred time this fall getting ready for bow hunting. I try ed mechanicals for about tree years and had bad luck with them. I thought the penetration sucked. They didkill things but, just didn't penetrated like I like to see.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 AM

First of all, I hunt with mechanicals because I truly believe they are superior, and for me, there is no reason to use fixed-blades. But I'm curious toknow, do you honestly believe that fixed-blades always fly "identical" to bullet points on abow that is properly tuned?
Broadhead to arrow to bow to archer; if everything is in tune they will impact in the same point.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the help guys. I am pretty sure it was just some of the arrow being battered and old and whatnot. I would get two to hit around an inch low and two that just went wherever they wanted (one wanted to miss the target and hide it self in my front yard). But as for the other two that were flying good -- I have been shooting with those and they are consistently hitting about an inch or two lowere than FP's. I switched to a diff arrow with the one that was flying bad and it flew a bit better -- about 4 inches low but thats when I noticed one of the blades was bent. So i just dicarded it. Im not neccesarrily a fan of the muzzy I just know its a popular brand and they were @$15 at walmart so I figured its a good place to start since it my really only my first year.

Kodiak: Yeah I am waiting to see how long it takes for that bristle to wear out.400 shots and I'm still good. They do include a replacement bristle now too though so not hard to fix.

So can anyone tell me if a 3 blade fixed point flies a little more "true" than a 4 blade will? I have heard 4 blades can have a tendency to plane; is this true?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 PM

Default RE: Broad head not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I all ways had better luck with three blades. Spin teat them with a arrow spinner are spin them on a table to make sure there not bent some time they are even right out of the package bent and make sure they are sharp. Four blade do plane a little more in high winds and for me will shoot a little lower at long yardages say 40 or 50 yards
Old 10-27-2008, 02:39 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

It's possible for a bow to be in tune, and still have flight problems with fixed blades. Fixed blade broadheads often do not fly like bullet points.... if that is what you're looking for, go to mechanicals.

I used to shoot muzzys and loved them, but I had a similar problem once I switched to carbons. Rather than making adjustments between practice and hunting, I switched to a mechanical.

TheGrim Reapers have some similarities with muzzys, like the trocar (bone crushing) tip, only the Reapers have razors in the tip as well for added penetration, and I can assure you, they fly IDENTICAL tobullet points.

Good luck!
And what happens when you go somewhere that mechanicals are illegal? You'll have to learn how to tune a bow. I'll beat this dead horse again, just 'cause I've been dealing with broadhead tuning issues all week for people and the mechanical "fix" is not an option here. If your fixed blades aren't impacting with your field points, there is some kind of tuning issue.
Dead on correct. Mechs are a crutch.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I don't want to go to mechanicals at all. I like knowing that my blades are gonna be there if I hit the deer. And I can't justify paying $80 for rages and the practice tips (not bashing the head -- i am just broke). But as many have said my bow is out of tune -- ITS NOT. Bullet hole tears -- good on walkback. Broadheads now hitting an inch and a half lower than FP's at 20 and 30.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Dead on correct. Mechs are a crutch.

Ehhhhhh..... I don't know if I'd go that far. In certain situations they are USED as a crutch. But I think that they do have their place.

Example: I hunt this one spot that is in a neighborhood.... I'm talking about I can fly a paper airplane onto dudes house. The homeowner, his neighbors and even the majority of the neighborhood association have encouraged me heartily to please help thin the deer down. Lots of these folks are not hunters, and not even really pro-hunting from a political standpoint. But if you want to grow exotics and flowers and bushes and junk like that... deer ain't your friend.

I don't want to cause any friction because I am thankful to have a place to hunt. I'm a fixed blade guy. I've shot deer with mechanicals, and never had an issue. But I've never had an issue with a fixed blade head I couldn't really handle either. With slick tricks, the deer I shoot don't tend to go more than 85-125 yards. No issue there at all.... But the problem is when you are hunting on ONE acre... thats a couple lots down... or even the main road.

So, I have some 2 blade rage heads I'm trying out. Haven't had an opp. to use them yet on a deer.... but if it makes an 80 yard recovery a 40 yard recovery.... mission accomplished. I don't really want one going and dying in someones driveway or front yard.

Point of the exercise.... one of the few (if not only) good reason for shooting a mechanical in my opinion and in my mind, is the advantage of a massive cutting diameter that will substantially shorten bloodtrails (sometimes) in situations where there is really a big difference between 40 and 80 yards.

And FWIW, since I shoot 125gr, I have some aftershock archery "boosters" that I use to make "125gr" Rage heads. I've shot the slicks and the rages with boosters all the way out to 60 yards on the practice range... the rages tend to hit about an inch or so lower at 30 yards, and gradually get lower and lower as the distance increases compared to STs. The STs shoot as close to my field points as my shooting abilities allow. I'm above average, and can confortability shoot 1" groups for every ten yards of distance... so I think I'm pretty well set across the board.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

muzzy's are one of the harder broadheads to get to fly with field points , thats why I use them to tune with , try some magnus heads they are cheap and good .
Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ijimmy

muzzy's are one of the harder broadheads to get to fly with field points , thats why I use them to tune with , try some magnus heads they are cheap and good .
I do this too. I have had people say I was silly. I use montecs some and they don't seem sensitive to tuning or planing. So I will use thunder heads or muzzys to fine tune out to 60 yards. And still montecs hit same POI, but seem to produce nicer groups.

Quick Reply: Broadhead not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.