Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Broadhead not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Is 7595 the right spine shaft for your setup? (W.A.G. that you're over 65# and over 28" with your 100 grain head?)
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FSUBIGMAC

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

So when I get these new should I get them fletched with a 4deg. offset to help my broadheads fly better?
Yes.

I think a large part of your problem is trying to stabilize broadheads with straight fletch. I'm a bit late to this thread but it looks like you've been getting some good advise.
You may be late but I am still reading so please keep the info coming -- I am new to this stuff and want to learn as much as possible. Anywho. I only have like 3 or 4 arrows left and am ordering a new dozen of the same arrows (gold tip 7595). I want to stay with the blazers because of their durability but my question is this: I use a hostage pro arrow rest so can I get the new arrows fletched with a 4 degree offset and still get arrow clearance with that rest? I don't want to change arrow rests cause I just changed to this one and its working fine. Kind of would like to stay with the blazers because I have a palethera of them.
Doesn't sound like you need to change anything but the head, maybe some better (equals more expensive) GT's to reduce the flyers.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Is 7595 the right spine shaft for your setup? (W.A.G. that you're over 65# and over 28" with your 100 grain head?)
According to Gold Tips spine chart yes. Its not that the arrows are flopping all over the place during flight. Imagine a curve ball in baseball --- i think it may have just been those few arrows though -- I have two that are hittin maybe an inch low of field tips. I
Old 10-24-2008, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: nodog
Doesn't sound like you need to change anything but the head, maybe some better (equals more expensive) GT's to reduce the flyers.
I've got to at least partially disagree on this one. If field points and broadheads aren't impacting to the same point there is something out of tune. If the broadhead group itself is impacting to the same spot as the field points but the group size is out of control, then I'd lean toward the heads as the culprit. Sounds as if there may be a little of both going on here.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hostage pro's are notorious for brush wear which will cause MAJOR inconsistancies....especially if you practice often...
Old 10-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got to at least partially disagree on this one. If field points and broadheads aren't impacting to the same point there is something out of tune. If the broadhead group itself is impacting to the same spot as the field points but the group size is out of control, then I'd lean toward the heads as the culprit. Sounds as if there may be a little of both going on here.
You could be right. I personally like what a head like a muzzy has to say about how "in tune" a bow is. Other heads though are in different to the need for change and it sounds like that's what he wants to hear. His "bows in tune", gotta take his word for it.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

You could be right. I personally like what a head like a muzzy has to say about how "in tune" a bow is. Other heads though are in different to the need for change and it sounds like that's what he wants to hear. His "bows in tune", gotta take his word for it.
Appreciate the smart a**, sarcastic comment. Its people like you who drive people away from this sport and give it a bad name. If my bow wasn't in tune then why are my numbered arrows hitting almost the exact same spot? Why is there one part of my new target that had been beat up by the same groupings? Must be luck I guess. And thank you everyone else for all your help and suggestions, I truley appreciate it.I figured out that the blade had a slight bend and chip in it; so I put a different head on the arrows that were flying bad and they are hitting same spots as the others. Who knew it was that simple. I didn't notice it because the spin test looked fine.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

I thought the Blazers were meant to stabalize the arrow better in flight?
If you read the Blazer instructions it says to fletch them with AT LEAST 2 degrees offset!!

Also...Check your axle to axle and brace. See if your bow is in 'spec'. Then check your tiller...make sure that is equal.
If all that is a-okay! Then You center shot is NOT perfect! Listen too these guys. You have to move your rest in small increments. Mark your rest and try it - You will see the effect of the movements.

One other thing you could try is a weaker spine arrow. 7595's are .300 spine....pretty stiff for 68#.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

I am dead on with field points but my broadhead are around 6in low and left and not even in a good group.
It's possible for a bow to be in tune, and still have flight problems with fixed blades. Fixed blade broadheads often do not fly like bullet points.... if that is what you're looking for, go to mechanicals.

I used to shoot muzzys and loved them, but I had a similar problem once I switched to carbons. Rather than making adjustments between practice and hunting, I switched to a mechanical.

TheGrim Reapers have some similarities with muzzys, like the trocar (bone crushing) tip, only the Reapers have razors in the tip as well for added penetration, and I can assure you, they fly IDENTICAL tobullet points.

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Michbowhunter

It's possible for a bow to be in tune, and still have flight problems with fixed blades. Fixed blade broadheads often do not fly like bullet points.... if that is what you're looking for, go to mechanicals.

I used to shoot muzzys and loved them, but I had a similar problem once I switched to carbons. Rather than making adjustments between practice and hunting, I switched to a mechanical.

TheGrim Reapers have some similarities with muzzys, like the trocar (bone crushing) tip, only the Reapers have razors in the tip as well for added penetration, and I can assure you, they fly IDENTICAL tobullet points.

Good luck!
And what happens when you go somewhere that mechanicals are illegal? You'll have to learn how to tune a bow. I'll beat this dead horse again, just 'cause I've been dealing with broadhead tuning issues all week for people and the mechanical "fix" is not an option here. If your fixed blades aren't impacting with your field points, there is some kind of tuning issue.

Quick Reply: Broadhead not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.