Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Broadhead not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I just had my bow retuned the other day because of this problem -- Centershot is right on with the laser, knock point reset and new D loop.
Just to reiterate BC....... If you want YOUR bow perfectly tuned then YOU must tune YOUR bow. No one else can do it for you. Your pro shop can not get YOUR bow tuned to YOU, they can only get it tuned to them or the machine they are using.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FSUBIGMAC

ORIGINAL: passthru79

You should be able to get at least a slight offset with the hostage rest. Even with out your fletches should be able to stabilize your arrow. Step back to 30 yards or more and shoot your broadheads. Dont worry about where they hit just watch your arrow. If your getting any tail wag or erratic flight you need to adjust your rest accordingly. Once you have perfect flight then adjust your sights. Once you do that Ill bet you some money your field tips and broadheads are pretty dang close.
Alright please don't bash me here cause I am broke as **** (you pick a 4 letter cuss word to your liking). Call me dumb but I started the day with6 arrows -- 2 I have to get the inserts reset -- any good glue recommendations? So I tightened my broadheads real tight --- I had previously only hand tightened them. So i shoot first arrow -- about 2 inches below my fieldpoints -- 2nd arrow -- splits the first arrow --- AWESOME -- 3rd arrow splits the 2nd arrow -- ****(again pick cuss work to your liking) now I am down to 2 arrows. So I switch the broadhead to my other arrow and go back and shoot -- One of them flies awesome at 20 and 30 yards -- hitting about 2 inches low. The other arrow goes wherever the heck it wants -- pretty consistently way low and left.

So here are my questions -- could the one erratic arrow just be a bad arrow or maybe a bad broadhead? Do you recommend getting a new set of arrows and and starting all over with a walk back test? NOTE: My field tips hit about half inch low and left from center which I don't mind cause it give me a little leway when aiming at the heart I can aim back and high just a bit-- i think this is due to me just not moving my pins yet.

Sorry for the dumb questions -- this is my first season of actually taking this seriously. I want to get this right because I am not the one to go hunting just to wound an animal
Joel,
Why did you shoot at your arrow???? If you take nothing from this thread at all, shoot only ONE BH tipped arrow at a time, or shoot at different spots for different arrows!!!!

As BC said, just because some guy put a laser on you bow don't make it tuned, YOU shooting it and adjusting things ever so slightly makes it TUNED. Many guys think just because somebody"paper-tuned" their bow that it's TUNED, and arrow should fly perfect, and they areWRONG. I MAY fly perfect, but it may not. BH's fly completely different than FP's out of an untuned bow, and still fly a slight bit different even out of a near "perfectly tuned" bow.

Lots of good info given here, heed the good advice, and put a little time behind that bow and get it dialed in.I always find that I even shoot myFP's better after I tune to make my BH's hitwith them.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes you may have a bad arrow. Numbering arrows to see if one flies bad all the time is a common thing to do. Chuck that one aside and just use it with FP's if at all.

And yea as you learned the hard way, dont shoot more than one BH at the same spot.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Refletch with some 5 inch feathers on an offset and tune from there ,
sounds like you will at least need to move your nock point slightly down
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

OHbowhuntr: Yeah I learned that lesson about the broadheads. Now I have to buy another dozen arrows.

Rybo: Yeah I put a #1 on that arrow that is still flying perfect --- I figured if worst comes to worst I can use that one this year if i can't get things fixed before the rut which is in about a week or two. On my next arrows I am going to number them.

So when I get these new should I get them fletch with a 4deg. offset to help my boradheads fly better? I would like to stay with the blazer vanes mostly because of durability. I am going to start all over with the retuning process. I know my bow is lazer-aligned for centershot but is there anything else I need to worry about before I tune such as -- where should my sights be placed? in line with the string/centershot to start with? My arrow is nocked perpendicular to the string with RS levels. Anything else I should know as a starting point?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Spike

Joel what does the FSU stand for
Old 10-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Up A Tree

You know what it stands for -- sure as heck isn't Fresno State. Florida State Univ. unfortunately. I used to love them when I was younger but took a job with the Ohio State University Football Strength and Conditioning Program and started liking them. Being a buckeye fan is frustrating though. Maybe one day my Buckeyes and the Noles will play against each other for the NC and then I win either way HAHAHA DA** you Gators and Tigers.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Up A Tree

You know what it stands for -- sure as heck isn't Fresno State. Florida State Univ. unfortunately. I used to love them when I was younger but took a job with the Ohio State University Football Strength and Conditioning Program and started liking them. Being a buckeye fan is frustrating though. Maybe one day my Buckeyes and the Noles will play against each other for the NC and then I win either way HAHAHA DA** you Gators and Tigers.
I'm really a nole fan since 1956 and I like the buckeyes also. Are you in Ohio now? I was in Huber Heights Ohio for 6 years. I am now in Florida.I really miss deer hunting in Ohio. If you're ever in Dayton, there is an archery shop in Tipp City,Oh. Ask for Ken
http://www.oeoutfitters.com/Scripts/default.asp
Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 PM

So when I get these new should I get them fletched with a 4deg. offset to help my broadheads fly better?
Yes.

I think a large part of your problem is trying to stabilize broadheads with straight fletch. I'm a bit late to this thread but it looks like you've been getting some good advise.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

So when I get these new should I get them fletched with a 4deg. offset to help my broadheads fly better?
Yes.

I think a large part of your problem is trying to stabilize broadheads with straight fletch. I'm a bit late to this thread but it looks like you've been getting some good advise.
You may be late but I am still reading so please keep the info coming -- I am new to this stuff and want to learn as much as possible. Anywho. I only have like 3 or 4 arrows left and am ordering a new dozen of the same arrows (gold tip 7595). I want to stay with the blazers because of their durability but my question is this: I use a hostage pro arrow rest so can I get the new arrows fletched with a 4 degree offset and still get arrow clearance with that rest? I don't want to change arrow rests cause I just changed to this one and its working fine. Kind of would like to stay with the blazers because I have a palethera of them.

Quick Reply: Broadhead not working right ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.