Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

best long range fletching

Old 10-23-2008, 08:01 AM

Default best long range fletching

I am wanting to switch out of my current blazer vanes because I no longer shoot a whisker biscuit and I have noticed some rubbing of the blazers with my new ripcord rest. What is a good vane for longer shots up to 50 yards? I have heard good things about the quick spins, but how is the noise and loss of speed with these vanes?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best long range fletching

I still use 5" helical feathers as they do the best job of stabilizing the arrows at ANY range for ME. YES,my bow and arrows are in perfect tune but I still prefer feathers. Guess I'm old fashoned in some ways but I havn't found a vane that offers me the same stability that feathers does. Again-that's just MY setup and other fletchings may work just as well for you.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a 3" duravane. thats whats on my 3d setup and they stabilize very well. I have full right helicals on mine (better stabilization) b/c a little loss of speed i will take anyday forbetter arrow flight.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’m not as technically trained as some, but I think my opinion is still valid here.

If your fletching stabilizes your arrow at 20 yds, it will still have it stabilized at 50 yds. Quick spins and some of these other “high stability” options get your arrow stabilized fast, and under non-ideal conditions (broadhead, imperfect tuning, etc). But generally they do so at a higher loss of velocity over distance. If you’ve got a well tuned bow/arrow and a head that flies excellent, you won’t need much fletching help.

So what you are going to have to consider now is, how well tuned is your bow/arrow combo presently, and how much velocity you can tolerate losing. If you’ve got a laser beam tuned bow already, probably most any standard 3” druavane, vanetec etc fletching will handle your job. BUT if a blazer, quickspin, or helical fletch is needed to stabilize your current arrow, then you can stick with that, or attempt to tune your bow/arrow combo better.

For instance my current setup uses 3” vanetecs and I have no issues at all shooting out to 50 yds and maintaining accuracy and good arrow flight.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

If you're getting fletching contact, then your rest probably needs the timing adjusted, or your nocks aren't rotated properly. Lot of guys enjoy good results with Blazers on that rest and the QAD.

Like rybo was saying, just about any vane will work well off a properly tuned bow. I play with different ones every year on my hunting setup just for fun, and can't say any of them shoot significantly better than the others with a good fixed blade.........as long as it was a reasonable sized vane, I don't mess with the micro vane crap with a broadhead. But they do shoot well on 3-d setups. This year for hunting I tried the AAE Max Hunters, and I like them alot. My Slik Triks out to 50 yds are pounding.

ORIGINAL: pukeleeland

I am wanting to switch out of my current blazer vanes because I no longer shoot a whisker biscuit and I have noticed some rubbing of the blazers with my new ripcord rest. What is a good vane for longer shots up to 50 yards? I have heard good things about the quick spins, but how is the noise and loss of speed with these vanes?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

If you're getting fletching contact, then your rest probably needs the timing adjusted, or your nocks aren't rotated properly. Lot of guys enjoy good results with Blazers on that rest and the QAD.
Thats exactly it.

Blazers aren't the issue here. If you are getting contact with blazers, then you'd probably get contact with just about anything else too.

I know a few guys who shoot long range target comps (FITA and the like). Most of them are either using mini-blazers (1.5" models) or some other type of short vane. I target practice, with broadheads mind you, out to 80 yards with NAP twisters, and I've done the same with 2" blazers and feathers both. I put a soft right helical on mine and they work great.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:52 PM

What's involved in adjusting the timing of my ripcord rest?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

It might be as simple as adjusting your arrow nock, How do you have it now? cock vane up or down?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

For long range target 3 inch feathers on an offset would be my choice .
Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

I use 2" Blazer vanes, my rest is a Rip Cord and I have no problem shooting out to 50 yds. Field points or Broard heads hit the same.

Quick Reply: best long range fletching

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.