Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting slump advice

Old 10-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting slump advice

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a shooting slump lately and am wondering what advice you might have. My bow is tuned perfectly, so I know it's not the bow. I think I'm torquing the bow on the shot... What happens is the first few shots are okay, then after that I'm sort of all over the place. Then I get mad. Then I get tired and of course my accuracy suffers. I was shooting really well this summer, so I know I can do it. Should I just put the bow up for a couple of days? Shoot through it? Let me know. I'm not losing any sleep or anything; maybe I just need to hear that others have been through what I'm going through now...
Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting slump advice

The very worst thing you can do is shoot when you are tired.

Thats when bad habbits set in and they are had to get rid of.

Best thing to do is put the bow up for a couple of days then re group.

When you do go and practice have a plan and work on one thing at a time ie grip today, tomorrow work on your release make sure you use your back muscles to fire the release dont shoot it like a gun trigger, another day work on aiming, come to full draw aim, hold for 20 seconds then let down do this your whole practice session.

You can also start off each session blank bailing, come to full draw anchor make sure the bow is pointed at your target then close your eyes and release using back muscles.

There are a ton of things you can do at practice sessions the thing is make your practice quality practice and not quantity (sp) just flinging arrows is not proper practice

Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

like said above.. shooting when tired or stressed soemtimes isnt the perfect combo. I do the same. Oneday ill split arrows. The next ill be all over the place, espically if im tired, winds blowing, or just mad at something.

one simple thing to do is move close to the target. Its easy to start throwing arrows off past 20 yards. Get up close, focus and hit some bullseyes. Then back up from there. Also, if you are groups are getting bad after 3-4 shots, then you might have to much draw weight. You want something you can draw easy and wont give you out after a few shots.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me, drawing back, and holding and then letting down. and blank bailing help me out everytime. i go into a slump every couple months b/c i shoot alot.