Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

spine of carbon arrows

Old 03-20-2003, 06:34 AM

Default spine of carbon arrows

I know we have discussed arrow charts but I found something interesting. I' m shooting a 200 CE 3-D Select. According to the chart with my set-up is suppose to be good till 70 lbs. My set-up is a Merlin Max 2000 duel cam, 60lb draw,261/2 arrow w/90 gr.tip. Well within the peramitures(SP). Using the bare shaft tuning method my arrow is showed to be underspined. I also found it true while trying to group tune to 60 yds. Inorder to have any group at that distance I had to drop my draw wt to 57lb,drop to a 75 gr tip and I decreased my spring tension on my 3-d rove to softed the release. The next test will be to change to a 300 CE. to see if my thinking is correct.

I occasionally shoot with a guy who is an engeer with easton and helped chart the ACC' s. What he found in his resent testing is carbon arrow charts as well as other aluminum charts are on the weak side with the new bows and string material. He seems to think with the cabon arrows the spines are inconsistent because of the there glues and epoxyies used in making them. Now thats way over my head untill he explained his testing. It does however go along with what I found in my own set-up. He also said the ACC' s are probably the most consistant cabon arrow in respect to spine. Maybe it might just be with the CE' ' s chart I haven' t tested this myself on other carbons. Anyone find this to be true or am I being too critical? JERRY
Old 03-20-2003, 07:05 PM

Default RE: spine of carbon arrows

Agree. Every carbon arrow Ive tried has been underspined if you go by chart alone.Gold Tips are especially underspined if you go by the chart.I think newer string fibers contribute the most to that. Less stretch, more energy absorbed by the arrow. As far as the ACC,s I would agree, but I dont consider them a true carbon either. I think they get their spine consistancy from the alluminum core and alluminum is of course more consistant in spine. That last sentence makes absolutely no sense, but I have no clue on how to word it better.