Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Drop away rest? Are they all that good?

Old 03-19-2003, 01:14 PM

Default Drop away rest? Are they all that good?

What do you guys think? I have shot both and I see the benefits of both.

Let me say this. If tuned correctly shouldn' t a traditional " fixed" rest (shoot through rest) be just as accurate as a drop away. If we take the human factors of hand torque, poor fletching clearance, etc, the shoot through rests should be just as accuarte and without the potential for failure.

I shot a trophy taker rest last year and like it. I have gone back to a prong style rest since I am shooting a legacy andI didn' t feel like worring with a drop away until the bugs are ironed out on the roller cable gaurd.

Old 03-19-2003, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Drop away rest? Are they all that good?

They both certainly have their place. For me, I like the drop aways a little better these days. Especially one with arrow " holding" capabilities for hunting situations. But you are correct in your statement that a standard rest, if properly tuned will shoot as good as any drop away out there. In fact I see most competition archers shooting standard type rest. Right now, drop aways are a hot item. They address problems you may have with standard rest and let you get away with some things some times that conventional rest won' t let you do :example: arrow spine tolerances. But, drop aways introduce their own problems into the equation. More moving parts and linkages to go wrong.

Pick you poison.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

If we take the human factors of hand torque, poor fletching clearance, etc, the shoot through rests should be just as accuarte and without the potential for failure.
What you said says it all. The drop away, in my opinion, will help with some of the human error that is bound to be there, especially in a hunting situation.
Charlie
Old 03-20-2003, 07:28 AM

I think the biggest advantage is that drop aways allow the use of aggressive offset or helical flteching without the fear of contact.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:10 PM

In a hunting situation, do you run into problems if once at full draw you find that you have to lower your draw? I' m wondering if once you relax your draw, is it easy to redraw or do you have to take both hands to set the rest and arrow up again.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:16 PM

Rack makes a great point, and thats why I went to a drop away. More heli, more spin, easier arrow tuning, more accuracy with b.hds. For hunting they make the most sense.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:40 PM

I might have a few of mine on E-Bay maybe this weekend. They really ROCK!
Old 03-21-2003, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

Fallaway, dropaway, and trapdoor rests--

" Big fad" that has caught on by the hype. The last thing I need when out tramping through the brush is more strings/lanyards, tubes, etc, that could get hooked on branches, or more moving parts or tubes/lanyards/cable guard hookups that could fail, freeze, stretch, squeek, or get gummed up. I don' t know how many times I' ve had to re-tune customers' equipment due to this during hunting seasons over the past couple of years since this hype started. I want to concentrate on the game I' m going to be shooting at when hunting, not my equipment. I keep things simple, IMHO everyone else should also.

A properly setup and well-tuned bow is a properly setup and well tuned bow, and an improperly setup and tuned one is the same and nothing is going to change that as far as products go. " Band-aid" products that try to cover up improper setup techniques, other equipment choices, and tuning errors to me is not a correct answer to ones' problems! This type of thinking falls into the same category of using fat arrows to cut lines----it POSSIBLY (and the jury is still out on this IMHO) helps with one problem, but develops many other issues of it' s own--- in this example of fat arrows--- terrible FOC, and heavy overspine in most cases, leading to lesser accuracy. ( saved for another story) I think we all should correctly address our issues, ( for instance--if you cannot hit the X, practice!) not try to cover them up and/or " cheat" ! The main reason why anyone uses a fallaway to begin with is due to their arguement of rest interference. Choose correctly spined arrows with correct fletching and degree of helical, set it up correctly, and this becomes a moot point. It will shoot better also......

I only carry a limited few drop away rests in my shop. If a customer asks why, (and many do) I tell them why. Of course I will order others if necessary and have on many occasions and installed them as that is the customers' choice, but I feel they are nothing more than a " trinket" used primarily by those who are either caught up in the hype of them, or do not know how to correctly setup and tune their equipment, or both, and I will not promote them in any way. (Sorry, JMHO) The additional support of a conventional rest that offers slight resistance (to hold the arrow up) helps to stabilize any arrow quicker coming out of the bow, even tho it may fall forward anyway at launch depending upon your rest style. But it still has that extra initial support resistance which helps with stability.(high-speed video will verify this) A well tuned fallaway will normally paradox more in most cases, unless it is PERFECTLY tuned and the drop rate is exact,(most cannot tune to this degree) and therefore in my experiences you actually have to dink around much more with them than a conventional rest to get the best performance and groups at distance, which is contrary to the hype and popular belief. I' ve played with many fall away and trap-door designs over the years, even with some of the first magnetic Barner ST1' s and 11' s, and can say this is true with all of them. By contrast I can install a GKF Golden Premier or Bodoodle or other conventional rest on most any bow and have it correctly setup with centershot relatively close in less than 3 minutes from the time I grab the package it' s in. I cannot do that with any fall away rest made today simply because there is more to address, so one cannot readily assume that they are any easier to setup. Fletching contact is an issue with any setup, but I and my customers regularly shoot full helical out of our conventionally-rested bows with no contact, and get great accuracy at all yardages. (I personally feel greater accuracy also due to the lesser paradox. JMHO)

As I said, " bandaid" products are not a solution in any case whatsoever, and I am disturbed by the fact that the hype has taken over yet again and most people do not know the " real deal" of items highly advertised and promoted by little more than the hype associated with them. (ever heard of conventional solocams, split limbs, or fat " linecutter" arrows? Same thing) It is of course up to each individual to choose what they want to use, but IMHO it is better to take the time to correctly setup and tune your equipment, and utilize the equipment best-suited for the application at hand, both from a technical and " hands-on" standpoint. Unfortunately in this case I do not believe the fall away designs and hunting should have anything to do with each other. For target archery they are an alternative, (that is also fading in many formats as people are starting to figure them out), but for hunting they create too many issues of their own even tho they may " coverup" another. I' m not trying to bash anyone who choose to use them or any brands and models of products here, just stating my views as I see them from a technical standpoint in hopes others may step back and look at these from a different perspective and therefore make a better-educated decision when considering them. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 03-21-2003, 05:59 AM

I agree with Pinwheel 12. I even go a step further and say, for hunting, a full capture rest will give me the fewest headaches. I want my arrow always ready to be shot with no chance of it making noise or falling off the rest. Accuracy is just not an issue. If the full capture rests are less accurate, I' m not able to tell. The arrow goes where I point it, if I' ve tuned the bow correctly. For hunting, I' ll take a simple, well-built, full capture rest as my first choice.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

My two cents.....

...I tend to agree with P12 to some extent on this one. I have tried drop away style rests as well and have not really had a problem with them. But I did not really see any increase in accuracy or tuning ability when using them.

The biggest concern that I have about them is along the lines of what P12 posted regarding arrow suppport.....
The additional support of a conventional rest that offers slight resistance (to hold the arrow up) helps to stabilize any arrow quicker coming out of the bow, even tho it may fall forward anyway at launch depending upon your rest style.
. An arrow with greater stability would seem to rationally be more forgiving and accurate. But then there is also the " human factor" that was mentioned above. Poor shooting form, fletching contact, etc.... can and do decrease accuracy and one would think that a drop away helps eliminate this to some extent. So, one could look at either style of rest and find something to like about them.

I would not personally put them in the same category as split limbs and single cam bows but we won' t go into that again.....

Quick Reply: Drop away rest? Are they all that good?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.