Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Drop away rest? Are they all that good?

Old 03-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Drop away rest? Are they all that good?

Pinwheel, my post wasn' t in defense of drop aways in general, but more of the most attractive feature I see in them. Have you messed with any of the full capture mode rests such as bodoodle' s zapper series or GKF' s shoot out? They would seem to provide the best of both worlds, paradoxal support and protection from inadvertant arrow fall off while in the field or drawing on a big ' un... Do you have a direct opinion on this style of rests?
Old 03-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

Fletchead--

Sound use of what you have my friend, and I am glad to see you have done your homework on this, good job! I personally do not shoot fixed-blades much beyond 50 yds, exactly for the reasons you stated above--it is immediately apparent, even with a finely tuned bow. Too many variables for long distance shooting with them. Therefore I keep hunting shots limited to this if possible, if hunting antelope or other " long-range critters" , I' ll opt for a longer ATA bow with lighter arrows and a mechanical that flys well.

I find that a setup that is very forgiving no matter how you shoot it to be the best setup for hunting. " Critical" setups are just that, and as you mentioned above, getting the drop of the fallaway to the exact position for best performance and great flight is simply one of those critcal factors, and IMO more critical than slight fletching contact. It becomes even more critical if a branch snags a lanyard and alters the drop too. A slight brush across a rest will only really alter flight characteristics if it is one of those " critical setups" we' re talking about and every release must be perfect for the arrow to hit the spot, and we all need to strive towards those setups which are more forgiving as it makes the whole experience much more enjoyable. Your particular setup sounds like it would work very well, and I wish you much luck with it! You' ve found something you are happy with, and that is all any of us can do!

Rangeball-

No, I know you weren' t defending them, and sorry if it came across that way.

The full capture rests like the funnel design I do not care for, but some of the others are OK provided they are not so " tight" that the arrow is forced to do something it really doesn' t want to do. Like I stated, giving an arrow " subtle purpose" is one thing, but doing much more or less is another, it' s a fine line we walk with them IMHO. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 03-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Am with Rack attack Fall awaws are Excellent and the only way to go when using radical Helical fletched arrows. [:-]
Old 03-22-2003, 08:44 PM

The one main thing you are all missing is how little up keep is necasary on a good drop away rest. I shot prong style rests for many years and was always adjusting the elavation on my rest as the hush tubes wore down and constantly messing with them %$#$# tubes they would wear out in a week of good shooting enough to efect your point of impact since I put on my throphy taker all I have to do is shoot and shoot some more . Ihavent had one stinking problem with it in three years THIS IS NOT A BAND AID IT IS A SOLUTION
Old 03-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

On whats been said. Yes, I agree with Pinwheel that dropaways do act as somewhat of a bandaid for shooting form problems. They cover up a lot of imperfections you may have. With good form, and proper tuning a standard rest will shoot with and beyond anything out there. But you have to have both here, good form, and a good tune. I switched to a dropaway just because I liked the way it contained the arrow for me, nothing else. I haven' t noticed any difference in my accuracy from my Bodoodle, to the dropaway. But for my style of hunting, mainly treestand hunting, this particular dropaway contains my arrow so I don' t have to worry about it falling off.

I just bought a Hoyt Razortec for 3D, and I plan on putting a Golden Key 3D on it. I don' t need the containment there like in the woods.