Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Len, Jeff, Matt, PA, Pinwheel, et al... #2

Old 03-19-2003, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Len, Jeff, Matt, PA, Pinwheel, et al... #2

Can one set up a hunting bow with shots limited to 35 yards max that allows for canting of the bow? I have forearms and wrists, and when at full draw I am much more comfortable and steady with a slight cant (upper limb to the right a bit, I' m right handed). If I tune to this grip and hold, then adjust my sites, should the results be servicable in the field?
Old 03-19-2003, 10:23 AM

Default RE: Len, Jeff, Matt, PA, Pinwheel, et al... #2

Yes, this can be done but is not really recommended. How much cant is the determing factor and whether or not your ' cant' is very repeatable. I would also guess, based on what you' ve said, that you' re grip is more controlling than what it should be.

If you decide to go this route, you should use a sight that has pins that can be individually moved in the horizontal position. With many of today' s mass movement only on the horizontal level, this may be a problem. You can use a sight without individual horizontal movement, but you would have to compensate slightly. The amount of compensation would be determined by your cant and your bow.

I would highly recommend adjusting your grip, adopting a level for practice and those uneven footing shots, and learn to shoot with the bow level. It might take some getting used to, but it will pay off when shooting on uneven ground.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would tend to agree with Len and would also add that you might get lucky enough to find a sight that adjusts on its " fourth axis" (said in good humor). If such a sight existed then you could gang adjust all pins and have a bubble level to make sure you maintained the same level of " cant" .
Old 03-19-2003, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

The SME PinHead sight would allow the entire pin assembly to cant to some degree. It also comes with an adjustable bubble level. Don' t know if it would work(?)

I imagine just getting a bow setup in such a way would be time consuming.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Salutations RB,

Have to be a really careful as you have to make sure you are canted the same at your anchor....It can cause havoc with arrow flight if you are canted off a bit at anchor, and canted the opposite way at the bow...... especially if you use a loop where you are feeling less of the bowstring...

In a hunting situation where you often don' t have the time or chance for perfect form, any error could be a real mess...cant a bit too much and you' ll sail one in the guts or into the front shoulder despnding on which way the deer is facing..and quartering shots will require even more precision.

I suggest you eperiment with some other areas to get a better hold...grip position..bow arm position, shoulder position, custom grip...differernt release aids..., etc etc.

And one of the angled grip bows from Pearson or GE might be just up your alley...

And you might look into shooting a longbow...seriously..you might take to it quite well if " canted shooting" is more natural for you..

Old 03-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Again, everyone has provided great answers and given you solid advice. I also feel you should adjust your grip to a more " politically correct" angle,(vertical) and/or by adding offsetting weighting of the bow to get it back to vertical. The Vertical position allows the arrow to come out of the bow cleanly, without deviated rest contact and/or induced torque which will affect flight. As the string comes to brace height, you want that to be returning in as straight a line as possible, with little to no interferring forces. IF you can do this consistently with canting, then fine, but to date I only know of one person that has gotten to any top level of shooting with this style when shooting a compound, (Gene Lueck) and would not recommend it. I think it is much wiser to alter your style or equipment to fit. Maybe even try a slightly angled grip, like that on the Merlin Max and Supernova, it is only 3 degrees, but offers that " little extra, more natural" feel, without getting radical and going past that natural feel like the 15 and 20 degree offerings of some of the other manufacturers. Take the time to do it the way it was supposed to be done, IMHO you' ll be better off in the long run. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 03-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deep down, I just knew you guys were gonna say " practice the right way until it feels comfortable, dummy..."

Ok, I promise
Old 03-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah Rangeball.........eeek I' m just rolling around all the possible variables necessary to pull that off and its not pretty. [8D]
The other guys pretty much covered what I was thinking..........the only serious application that I could see for that style is for " instinctive" shooting without sights (similar to a longbow or recurve), and then you would probably have to switch to a plunger style rest to account for arrow side pressure similar to what a finger shooter would use.....even if you were shooting a release.
If you plan on just taking a fully equipped compound w/ sight, peep and all and just leaning her over chase those thoughts away now! That style of shooting is something that you must " FEEL" and complicating it with sights and peeps and other gizmos would drive you batty.
Yeah try one of those angled grips........or maybe a stickbow?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:05 PM

Not meaning to jump in here. I know Len and Pinwheel forgot more yesterday than I know. Pinwheels of course right like always.Better to fix the problem, rather than bandaid it. PA,s on the right track and brings up an interesting thought. How about a pendallum sight that swings off center, side to side, and forget the bubble entirely. Should be fairly accurate out to 30 yds. or so. Not up to Pins standards of accuracy, but theoretically it should work to a degree. Vertical impact points would change slightly. How much I have no idea. Oh well, still not the stupidist idea Ive had. Someday Ill tell ya about the motor I designed that runs on steam. I still think that idea has merit. Im probably just to far ahead of the times.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:36 PM

Or.....Get a recurve. A lot of guys cant those a lot to allow for a larger sight window. Oddly enogh I' ve noticed when I don' t cant it...i can' t hit anything and when I cant it...I still can' t hit anything! I feel better knowing (thinking)that I look cool though.

Quick Reply: Len, Jeff, Matt, PA, Pinwheel, et al... #2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.