Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Eye injury forces switch to LH bow

Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 AM

Default Eye injury forces switch to LH bow

Due to a recent farming accident earlier this year (note to others: ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION when working on or around any type of spring under tension on ANY machine, particularly cultivators) I lost a significant amount of vision in my right eye. Guess what that means for bow hunting?

I’ve been an archer since I was 13, and now that I’m 31, I’m having to retrain myself to shoot consistently with my left eye WITH a left handed bow. What makes this doubly hard is that I used to shoot instinctively with a traditional right handed recurve with my right eye. I’ve had to switch to a compound bow with my left hand because I can’t sustain the 60# pull on a recurve. I need the let-off of the compound to feel comfortable.

Here’s the real problem. Since I didn’t want, or have the means, to spend high dollars on a high end Hoyt (or Mathews), I ended up buying a ‘box chain’ PSE FireFlite 33. I’m starting to regret my choice but I’ve become comfortable with the bow and can shoot 3” groups at 30yrds. BIG problem here is the NOISE of the bow. Maybe I’m used to the familiar ‘thump’ of a recurve but holly cow the string snap on the compound is loud. I’ve replaced the stabilizer with a limbsaver s-coil. I’ve tried several different models of string silencers, including limbsaver leaches, and about everything I’ve tried fails to dampen the sound to a level that I can tolerate.

Maybe I’m being too picky but for this season I’m ‘stuck’ with shooting the FireFlite until I get the funding to get a better bow (my crops don’t look that good after the flooding this year, bummer). I’d LOVE to train myself to shoot a left handed recurve but I’ve found that finding a LH recurve in stock is pretty difficult. Even LH compound bows are hard to find, or at least a good selection of them at most shops. Next year I’ll be buying an upper/middle end Hoyt, but for now it’s the box chain bow. I got what I paid for ☺ I just want help with the noise issue. Please help.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:49 PM

Default RE: Eye injury forces switch to LH bow

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm new to all this, but the first thought that comes to mind is the MeanV String Suppressor. From all I hear, they are a quality product that works great to stop that string vibration.

Dan (MeanV) is on these forums quite a bit, and could answer any questions you might have.

Good luck with your switch to lefty.

Andrew
Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: XXXL Bowhunter

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm new to all this, but the first thought that comes to mind is the MeanV String Suppressor. From all I hear, they are a quality product that works great to stop that string vibration.

Dan (MeanV) is on these forums quite a bit, and could answer any questions you might have.

Good luck with your switch to lefty.

Andrew
Thanks XXXL Bowhunter. I appreciate your help with this matter. I'll definitely look into the suppressors that you suggested. I'm planning on taking some the the equipment from my bow now and putting it on the upgraded bow next year.

Are most compound bows noisy with their strings? I've only been exposed to a few models but to me they all need help in that regard. The most comfortable bow I've found is Hoyt's Vectix 50-60# 27" draw. That doesn't mean that others won't work. I just know that string noise is a definite issue with many of the compounds I've tried.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It may be your limbs also. Try some limbsavers, they go right on the limbs.