Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

quieting my bow

Old 09-19-2008, 11:05 PM

Default quieting my bow

I finally got a brand new bow last year for Christmas.A Reflex Growler. I love the bow but I have one complaint it is a little loud. It came with AlphaShox from the factory but I slung the bottom one off the string the first week and now the top one is starting to go. Thinking about going to the old rubber string silencers (advantages disadvantages?). I am also considering a cable dampner from LimbSaver.Any advice would be very appreciated.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:56 PM

Default RE: quieting my bow

Do you shoot with your quiver on or off? That will cause a lot of noise. Try a shot with it and onw without it you will see. Also limbsavers, string leeches and a string silencer will help.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 AM

I don't normally shoot with my quiver on.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WarEagle83

I finally got a brand new bow last year for Christmas.A Reflex Growler. I love the bow but I have one complaint it is a little loud. It came with AlphaShox from the factory but I slung the bottom one off the string the first week and now the top one is starting to go. Thinking about going to the old rubber string silencers (advantages disadvantages?). I am also considering a cable dampner from LimbSaver.Any advice would be very appreciated.
Alpha's are between the limbs.
Leaches are on the string.

The noise is caused from vibration and your bow is so far out of balance it's throwing things off at a fairly rapid rate. Things should not fly off.

You have a lot of work to do and it will require a press. Check your specs for starters, put your bow into specs and go from there. A couple times a setting the specs and you'll be getting new strings (you might just want to go there now, it's up to you).

Takes a season or 2 to figure things out from scratch but the rewards are worth it. I can be on stand with peoplearound and shoot, they can't hear the draw or shot, only the sound of the arrow in flight and the smack of the target.

You'll be hard pressed to find a shop that will put in the time to get your bow were you desire.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:38 PM

First off, go get yourself one of the Hoyt Vibe Killers from Cool Hand Luke on www.archerytalk.com. They will help reduce any noise and vibration you have in the bow. My friend has one on his Hoyt, and it really helps. Plus it is built really well and gives a nice custom look. They are only $40. Here is the link:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=499877
Old 09-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

what are the settings on your bow also? Draw weight?

I know that suppressor helps alot! My hoyt came with one thankfully

but as said above, things shouldnt go flying off like that. Either it was installed crappy or somethings off?
Old 09-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I like the Tru-Ball Spyder silencer with some limbsavers on the limbs.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:56 PM

Drawing 66lbs with 28 inch draw. Let me clarify on the AlphaShox, it wasn't the ones in the limbs it was the string leeches they are ribbed. Anyone had problems with leeches coming off or wearing out quick? I know they are designed to wear over time but I have only had the bow about 8 months.