Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What would you do?

Old 03-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What would you do?

I am currently shooting a Parker Stealth bow 60-70lbs set at about 70lbs that i bought last year. I' ve been having some shoulder problems for a couple of years now that is making it hard to draw my bow and shoot. I turned it down around 65/66 but still have the pain so i was thinking of turning the pounds down around 60 but i know a bow performs at it' s best near peak weight. Would you send the bow back and have some 60lb limbs put on it and shoot it at 60lbs or should i look for another type bow that maybe has round wheels that can be drawn easier? Also is 60lbs going to be enough to do the job? I currently use Goldtip 5575 xt' s and according to the charts i can still shoot that shaft at 60lbs. Opinions please! Thank You!
Old 03-18-2003, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would you do?

My opinion is that you try shooting some of the round wheel bows or get the set of 60# limbs--60#' s is enough for deer.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:21 AM

Turn down the limbs and use the 5575.
if it shoots well, and is still quite I would use it
Old 03-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

mykey, I would do two things before going any further:

1. Check for a possible draw length problem. Drawing a bow that has too long of a draw length can turn into a problem on your shoulders. There are an aweful lot of people out there that use a draw length that is too long for them.

2. Check for any form problems. If you can get a hold of an instructor, I would do it. Let him determine if there are any problems in your form.

Loosening up your bow may not cure your problem.

You can check to see if you' re pulling weight is too high by fixing your sight on a target and drawing back. If you are forced to raise your bow while pulling, you are pulling to much. But, if you can draw it back smoothly and still fix in on the target easily, then your pulling weight shouldn' t be too high.

Just wondering, do you shoot everyday, or do you give yourself a rest of at least a day before shooting again? Everytime you are drawing your bow you are breaking down muscle that needs to heal. Not providing enough rest time will eventually lead to problems.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some really good suggestions so far. I really like what Bobco posted as possible further alternative measures to your situation.

Sixty pounds is plenty for most bowhunting situations. You should not worry about that....and I would not concern myself too much with the change in efficiency when going to the bottom of your draw weight range. There is a difference but it is not as substantial on some bow models. Lowering your arrow weight accordingly and changing the spine to compensate should give you a setup almost as fast with slightly less penetration power.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

BobCo' s remedies would help, especially resting a day or so between shooting sessions. If you' ve got good form, proper draw length and a good training schedule and are still having problems, then you need to change. That' s what I had to do.

Even at 60 pounds draw, single cams and hard dual cams really did a number on my arthritic shoulders. With round wheels, I can shoot up to 70 pounds, but I' ve stuck with 60, just to be on the safe side. At that weight and with round wheels, I can shoot all I want without pain. It costs speed, for sure, but I' d rather shoot slower arrows than not be able to shoot at all.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:45 AM

i`m willing to bet you have some rotatercup injury there is exersises that you can do to help strenthen the cup to get rid of the pain .go see a orthopetec doct. and they can give you the exersises you need had the same problem a few years back and the exersises will work if you do them
good luck i wish you al the best in the future with your problem
Old 03-20-2003, 09:47 AM

I' ve had some rotator cuff problems and have been able to work around them. I have a slight tear in my left shoulder' s rotator cuff and I am doing excerices designed to strenthen it. This is a very long, slow process, but it can work. The excercises consist of controlled movement of a certain motion, with very light weights. In my right shoulder, the rotator cuff has tendonitis. The key is to reduce the swelling. Until it is reduced and given a chance to heal, it will continue to hurt. I used the combination of MSM and emu oil (commonly sold as Super Blue Stuff), to reduce the swelling and pain in my shoulder. There are many other anti-inflamitories, many of which are precription drugs. I have chosen this simple over the counter remedy. Applied several times/day for a couple weeks, with no stress put on the shoulder during that time, should help eliminate the swelling if your problem is just from tendonitis.