Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

which carbon arrows?

Old 03-18-2003, 07:30 AM

Default which carbon arrows?

hi guys i just got a new mathews q2xl 70# 29in draw, and i want to use carbon
arrows, was wondering what you would recomend, it would be for hunting.
thanks alot
BUZZER
Old 03-18-2003, 07:32 AM

Default RE: which carbon arrows?

Easton redlines are excellent. I traded for a half dozen, and bought a half dozen and they are all within 1 grain in weight.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had relatively good experiences with both the standard Carbon Express ICS carbons and the Beman ICS models. Goldtips might be another you might want to consider. A size 300 in Carbon Express or 400 in Beman ICS should be about right for your setup but I do not have a chart handy to actually check that. A good pro shop should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:44 PM

I am on a tighter budget and bought some CarbonAeros Excels. I doubt that I am as hard on them as many of the people here, but I sunk two into the wood target frame, another hit a nail used to hold up the target (i was working on sights at 80 yards) and sunk a few into the ground on the 3D course. They held up fine for me.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' d suggest picking up the latest issue of Peterson' s bow, March 2003. It has a article in it about all kinds of carbons, from light weights to heavies. List brands, grains of each, and little bit about ea.. I found it pretty interesting.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:13 PM

I have been shooting the Gold Tip 55-75 XT' s for several years and really like
them for 3D and indoor shooting. I can actually group much better with these than
I can with the Eason acc' s. Why? I don' t know but the accuracy is much better
with the Gold Tips. Before you sink money into a dozen carbon' s buy 2 and test
them first if you can.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for Gold Tips. I have been shooting them for a few years as well and dont have any complaints other then the black ones may be a little noisy on some rest. But thats usually easily remedied. I switched to the camo' s last season and love them. They are smoother and quieter on draw. Yeah, they are kinda homely looking but once shot, you dont notice . My suggestion might be to go to a couple shops in your area and ask if you can try a couple different brands matched for your bow before you decide. A good shop will help you decide what to get.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:10 PM

I personally prefer gold tips 5575' s also. But I use mine for hunting and 3-d shooting and I have found that the camo' s seem to get target material stuck to the finish on them. so i use the plain old black arrows. the finish also scrapes off when refletching the camo' s.

I' ve found the gold tips to be one of the most indistructable arrows in the industry. I love em.

~DREW~