Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning two blade broad heads

Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default Tuning two blade broad heads

Ok so I was short on time the other day, made some repairs to my bow saturday, got it dialed in to 30yds, in a hurry, and put my Spitfires in and went hunting and took a descent 8pter that evening.....

BUT....those arent the heads I WANT to shoot. I just bought some 2 blade Magnus Stingers. Theyre tough and easy to sharpen, but dont seem to want to be consistant with me. Havent had time to shoot them since getting some repairs madeon the bow, but just know 2 fly one way compared to the field point and and one is dead on.

What are some basics in tuning a two blade fixed head?? I can tune a 3blade like it's nobodys buisness......

So...

Alignemt with fletching?
Blade at an angle? Blade vertical? Blade horizontal?
Who the heck cares.....screw it in and hope it hits brown?....J/k!!

Any advise would be much appreciated
Old 09-15-2008, 02:29 PM

Default RE: Tuning two blade broad heads

Feather fletch, helical.3-4" or 4-3" should do the trick. Trad style heads seem to appreciate a little more FOC, as well.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need a good helical fletch or at least some offset. The bow needs to be tuned for proper arrow flight and each arrow spin tested to ensure there is no wobble in the broadhead. Mechanicals tend to be much more forgiving and you can get away with not following these steps and still get good flight. Not so with longer larger traditionaly styled fixed blades. You can also check out my link for some more tuning tips. http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
Old 09-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive heard that 2 blade heads like to be aligned with the string.....but i dont know...never shot them...maybe post this on the Traditional forum....more of those guys have expirience with 2blade heads than most compound shooters...
Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Didnt think about that, as I shoot a compound myself.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The bow needs to be tuned for proper arrow flight and each arrow spin tested to ensure there is no wobble in the broadhead.
Feather fletch, helical.3-4" or 4-3" should do the trick.Trad style heads seem to appreciate a little more FOC, as well.
I shoot a compound and two blade heads (muzzy phantoms, no bleeders) and the above quotes just about cover it. Start with a well tuned bow, an arrow that is spined correctly and 12+% FOC (my preference) and it should tune and shoot with FP's. You may not want to use 2 blade BH's if your going to be shooting over 300 FPS. I have heard the higher speeds are not friendly with larger surface BH's like a 2 blade would be.
ive heard that 2 blade heads like to be aligned with the string
I have not found that to be the case. It looks cooler with the BH alignedto the string but the arrow flys the same regardless.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

2 hitting bad and one hitting good, makes me want to think there might be an issue with the arrows too. Maybe not squared?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt.

What arrows do you have plus bow, poundage, draw lenght and what fletching do you have?

Did you spin test them?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
bigcountry

Spin test them, work on form. Same as a 3 blade. Maybe less forgiving due to the design.