Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Opposite dominants

Old 01-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default Opposite dominants

I have a question about opposite dominants (left or right eye vs right or left hand.)
In teaching youth during the summer I have came across this on several occasions. I have tryed to have them switch aiming eye. I have also tryed to have them switch hands but this makes them grip the string which causes another problem.
The bows they shoot are not very good in fact they have a hard time making a arrow stick at 30 yards.
I have thought about making a peep site and some type of aiming guide for them to help in this situation.
What are your thoughts and ideas?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-21-2002, 08:42 PM

Default RE: Opposite dominants

Who,

I am right handed but left eye dominant, or at least I believe I am. I do everything right handed except for archery.

Maybe this is simplistic, but can`t they just close the "off" eye when they shoot? I know that this might not be the purest way to teach a kid to shoot. Perhaps they are able to use either eye (ie. neither eye is dominant). I can shoot right handed, too, but it doesn`t feel as comfortable.

The Mouse
Old 01-21-2002, 09:14 PM

I am left eye dominant and right handed. there was no way I could shoot left handed so I started out bye closing my left eye to shoot. as I got more comfortable with it I could open my left eye after getting a fix on the target and I am shooting fairly well this way. I know its not the way your sposed to do it but it is working for me, mabye it will work for them.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:21 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

These kids are between 12 and 14. Most have never shot a bow some have. Last year I had two that were right hand and left eye dominant. Both found it easier to look across the string to shoot. Trying to get them to close the dominant eye and use the other eye resulted in squinting. I have heard of placing a patch over the dominant eye but wanted to see if anyone had ever just changed hands?
Thanks for the imput.
Rick
Old 01-21-2002, 09:53 PM

Just a quick thought:

Since these are kids who are just learning to shoot, why not have them try shooting right handed and then left handed? Maybe there are some switch hitters in the bunch. They might have fun seeing how well they can do when they shoot with the opposite hand.

By the way, good for you, Who. I am glad there are people out there taking the time to work with kids in the outdoors and get them away from the video games and the computers.

The Mouse
Old 01-22-2002, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

With beginning archers, it is better to make the transistion over to accompany their dominant eye NOW. Shooting in "synch" with your dominant eye is the correct way to shoot, everything lines up and is not "out of kilter", one is not stretching or twisting their head and throwing off their form. I know many archers that started off wrong and it took a very long time for them to switch hands after they did and get it corrected, most of them saying things similar to the guys above. Anyone CAN shoot with their opposite hand, it's just not comfortable to them yet, and their muscles are not as developed. Once the switch is done and the practice time has been put in, those archers will be much more at ease with their form because it is correct, and that leads directly to increased accuracy. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 01-22-2002, 04:39 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Mouse,
When they change hands they grip the string or cant controle the arrow on the rest. These bows are not much more than a stick. The rest are just a plastic grove in the handle. When they grip the string it roles the arrow out. After a little of this they are ready to call it quits.
Pinwheel what do you think about letting them use a release to get away from griping the string?
Another kicker is what if the dominant eye is their weak eye. I never thought about these things until I started working with the kids.
One more thing does anyone here work with or have experence with Upper ext. chalanged kids? Is there tools/bows that can be used to make their archery experence a good one? I only have these young people for 1 1/2 hr a day for one week. Time is very important.
Oh if you have any links that you could shair please contact me.
Thanks again,
Rick
Old 01-22-2002, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Rick-

Let them use their fingers, and learn the correct way to grip it. Don't forget, they are just learning, and you must let them experience each step and not rush them, otherwise they will quickly grow tired of it and give up if they are pushed too hard. Gently show them the correct way to grip the string, and make them set up properly using their dominant eye and hand accordingly. Who cares about true precision at this stage, but if given correct guidance and if they are correctly setting up their stance and form, they will quickly get the hang of it. You can always have an advanced class for release and learning advanced techniques later, but the #1 thing when they are beginning is to make sure they simply are in correct position and form, and that they are having FUN. The rest will come with time. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 01-22-2002, 08:45 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Pinwheel,
Some of these young people are shooting for a merit badge so given the limited time to practice and then shoot....doesnt leave much time during class. I try to have fun shoots at the end of the day.
I asked the 3-d forum about how to set up a 3-d range but did not get much info. I also am always looking for fun type shoots that I can have them do.
Anyway, thats what I am up against.
Thanks for your info and help.

Rick
Old 01-23-2002, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

One fun archery event I've seen that rivets both young and old, beginning to expert shooters is the "bouncing ball" You take a vacumn cleaner and turn it onto "reverse" or "Exhaust". The you tape a piece of construction paper around the outlet(or hose) like a cone, and make it so it is pointing up and is solid. Turn it on, and put a Ping-pong ball over the exahust and watch it "bounce" in midair. (sometimes it takes a little to get it correct with the exhaust, but it is neat when it's done. Prizes for those that can hit the ball at a given distance. (you've got to buy around a dozen ping-pong balls also.) We've kept top Pro shooters throwing money into a pot all day trying to hit it at 20 yds, I'm sure you can get the kids to be similarly intrigued at a shorter distance. Have fun, Pinwheel 12

Quick Reply: Opposite dominants

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.