Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

new string & cable question

Old 09-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default new string & cable question

I shoot a "99" hoyt viper redline & i just put a new set of strings and cables on the bow,,,brought the bow home,,set up the target, and fired an arrow @ 20 yds,,,missed (hi) by a mile,,, I immediately noticed the bow was quieter,,faster,,,and alot harder to pull,,than 2 days earlier before replacement,,,went back to 30 yds still 4" high from poa,,finally @36 yds i was dead on,,shot a 3 arrow group and robin hooded the 1st arrow with the 3rd,,still using the 20yd pin,,,actually i use a slider (single pin) and i have always shot the bow in @ 20 yds and held over/under(most of my shots are within 25 yds from a treestand) my question is,,,is it common to see this kind of speed increase from string replacement alone,,,nothing else has been changed! I actually had to grind the bottom of the adjusting arm off to allow the arm to slide down enough to raise the sight up getting me dead-on @ 25 yds,,,i will have to change the sight if i want to be on @ 20 yds as i have no adj. left,,i did not chronograph the bow before and after,,, wish i would have now so i could give you an exact fps increase,,,I am truly loving the groups im shooting with the bow now but is there any safety concerns i should have with all this being the bow is 10 yrs old????

thanks for your input!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new string & cable question

You shouldn't have to GRIND anything!!! Your peep is probably lower than previously, and causing your sight to seem out of adjustment. New stings and timing a bow up help, but they don't make that much difference. Have your peep adjusted, and DON'T go GRINDING things, that's NOT the right answer!!!

Good to hear the bow is shooting well, now get things adjusted the RIGHT WAY!!!

Shoot 'em straight......
Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

OHbow:
Damn it,,,i never thought of the peep!!!!!!!!!!when i pulled the bow everything just felt right,,i've been trying to avoid goin back to the pro-shop but i will be on my way there within the hour,,,thanks for your knowledge!

Mike
Old 09-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

My bet is on the nocking point being different than before.Especially if the peep aligns right for your anchors.

You will never see that kind of speed increase,NEVER.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:30 PM

prolly nocking point or peep like they said good luck