Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

drop away problems (vital bow gear)

Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 PM

Default drop away problems (vital bow gear)

had a new drop away rest put on my bow late last summer. didnt notice it till a couple of months ago but its ruining my fletchings and you can see where the little hook thing that holds the arrow in place when not drawn back is getting worn. tried moving the rest ahead some and it didn't help also tried moving the rest side to side with no improvement either. any help would be great

Fanatic
Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: drop away problems (vital bow gear)

Shot that rest quite a bit for a couple years, it works well. You have to keep an eye on the pull cord with rest, it'll stretch out, it has a strong spring pulling against it.You may need to reset the pull cord. I never liked the cable slide for that rest, I just served the cord into my down cable. Made it easier to re-adjust it.

Also, your nock point needs to be around 1/4" or so above the 90 degree point on the string with that rest.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

That rest needs to be set higher than most rest as well.Slightly above the burger hole.It is also advisable to rotate the fletching so it would clear the arm on the rest.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 PM

I dont have that rest, but my drop away was doing the same thing. I Just made sure it was at 90 deg. at full draw, and it fixed the problem. Mine was past 90, so was not falling quick enough. I noticed it when the felt on my rest was being pulled off.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 AM

Yep, what Tfox said. I used that rest before it became the Vital. Nice rest but you need to have your arrow higher in order for it to clear the rest. Should have mentioned that in the instructions. Mine said to have the arrow at least one inch above the rest. Ended up being slightly higher than the hole the rest mounts in. I had the model that had a linkage instead of a cord, but it basically functions the same way. I think mine was made by SME? I still have it.

Paul
Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Yea, SME (scout mountain equipment) became Vital Bow Gear in 2004, 2005.....or somewhere around there.

I think mine shot best with about half the arrow above the riser hole, and the nock just a tad above the 90 degree line.

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Yep, what Tfox said. I used that rest before it became the Vital. Nice rest but you need to have your arrow higher in order for it to clear the rest. Should have mentioned that in the instructions. Mine said to have the arrow at least one inch above the rest. Ended up being slightly higher than the hole the rest mounts in. I had the model that had a linkage instead of a cord, but it basically functions the same way. I think mine was made by SME? I still have it.

Paul
Old 09-06-2008, 02:28 PM

moved the rest up and to the left that seemed to do the trick thanks guys for the prompt response. season opens next sat. but dont think ill be hunting this year until late oct.

Fanatic