Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Overdraw?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Overdraw?

Just a few years ago everyone I knew were putting overdraws on thier bows. Trying to get all the speed they could. Now days there are alot of bows out there that have large brace hieghts but noone uses overdraws anymore.

Just looking on some opinions on why this is.

I know with my Bowtech Tomkat IBO is rated 307-315fps. But without the aid of an overdraw there is no way I could ever obtain that mark. But now I can goto any bowshop and and chrony it and hit the 312 and + everytime. Before it was around 286.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Overdraw?

It's been years since I used one, for me it made the bow less forgiving to shoot and seemed louder.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

It's been years since I used one, for me it made the bow less forgiving to shoot and seemed louder.
It's not ALL about speed!!!!! If you shoot 312, that's great, but what is the weight of your arrow to get there. The overdraw only allows you to shoot a shorter arrow, nothing more, so if you are getting 312 out of your bow, you must draw close to 30" or you're shooting a "SUB-IBO" weighted arrow, which VOIDS your warranty. The OVERDRAW was big for Aluminum shooters, because to get the "right spine" on an aluminum arrow, you ended up shooting some HEAVY logs, whereas with carbons, it's quite easy to achieve IBO weight with a normal length arrow. The only thing an overdraw does is shorten your Braceheight, it doesn't increase your powerstroke, so it's not the same as switching to a shorter BH on the same bow. To do that, you have to change cams, angle of limbs, maybe even the limbs themselves, etc. You sound like you're pushing the limits in more than one way....BE CAREFUL!!!!

Bowtech Tomkat
30" Draw 70#
Whisker Biscuit
Fuse Pendulum Sight
24 1/4" Carbon Force 400 arrows
Looking at your signature verifies my assumption on the DL. I might add that a WB usually costs you 2-3fps, and for you to achieve those speeds would be difficult, unless you have a completely bare string, and your arrows are severely OVERSPINED for your set-up which will cause some serious flight problems, especially when you throw BH's on the ends of those arrows. Adding that MOST BT's NEVER meet IBO ratings, I'd have a hard time believing you're getting 312 out of that set-up even with those DANGEROUSLY short arrows, and I'd bet you can't get good accuracy much past 30yds with that SEVERELY mismatched set-up.

If you want that kind of speed get a bow that's designed to get that kind of speed, probably gonna be a 325+ IBO rated bow, and shoot arrows that are safe lengths for your set-up.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 AM

I am shooting PSE Carbon Force 400's with shrink fit blazer vanes they are well within range spline wise. Noise is no factor as this shoots as quiet as it did before the overdraw. I am tack driving at 50yards and I have the wisker bisquit and everything on the string including a tube on my peep sight. I have chronied this bow at my local bowtech shop and also at the Mathews shop. I shoot along side my buddy that shoots a Mathews DXT and I blow thru the target where his arrows stop half way thru. I did talk with bowtech and they don't recommend putting an overdraw on but they told me that there was nothing wrong with it. If you are looking for more speed they want you to go to one of there faster bows. Hence pay more money for the same speed. I can shoot from 10-50yards with complete accuracy. My father inlaw won't shoot with me anymore unless we pull arrows in between his shots and mine.

My father inlaw and I spend several hour a week in our local Bowtech shop shooting fine tuning and visiting with the shop owner. He loves my setup but would rather have someone buy the bigger bow from his stand point. I am looking at going to the octane hostage rest to reduce friction and increase speed. as for the fall aways I would rather have my arrow contained because of all the brush I hunt in.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: amikehoover34

I am shooting PSE Carbon Force 400's with shrink fit blazer vanes they are well within range spline wise. Noise is no factor as this shoots as quiet as it did before the overdraw. I am tack driving at 50yards and I have the wisker bisquit and everything on the string including a tube on my peep sight. I have chronied this bow at my local bowtech shop and also at the Mathews shop. I shoot along side my buddy that shoots a Mathews DXT and I blow thru the target where his arrows stop half way thru. I did talk with bowtech and they don't recommend putting an overdraw on but they told me that there was nothing wrong with it. If you are looking for more speed they want you to go to one of there faster bows. Hence pay more money for the same speed. I can shoot from 10-50yards with complete accuracy. My father inlaw won't shoot with me anymore unless we pull arrows in between his shots and mine.

My father inlaw and I spend several hour a week in our local Bowtech shop shooting fine tuning and visiting with the shop owner. He loves my setup but would rather have someone buy the bigger bow from his stand point. I am looking at going to the octane hostage rest to reduce friction and increase speed. as for the fall aways I would rather have my arrow contained because of all the brush I hunt in.
Hey, if you say so, but I've just never seen it, and with THAT bow those numbers are NEARLY impossible to achieve. But I could be wrong. But TRUST me on this, the SPINE is WAY OFF, unless OT2 and the PSE sight are both wrong, and I don't think that's the case at all. Looks like OT2 is correct approximating that you should have a 200 spine arrow for 70# and under 25" arrow length doesn't it?????

Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 AM

those are my target arrows. my hunting arrows are the carbon express terminater lite 60-75s that is what is producing the 312 the + is coming out of the carbon force extreme 400's. the adjusted draw weight on this bow calculates out to 66lbs. Carbon express recomends the tr4560 for this bow setup i am using the tr6075 well within range I have done the research behind the arrows and know the grn/in, spine, diameter of everything I use. If it is not within the limits I wouldn't use it. As for this length of arrow in this poundage of bow they don't test. 25" is the shortest testing point unless you contact someone at pse and ce wich I have done. The tech's have concurred.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: amikehoover34

those are my target arrows. my hunting arrows are the carbon express terminater lite 60-75s that is what is producing the 312 the + is coming out of the carbon force extreme 400's. the adjusted draw weight on this bow calculates out to 66lbs. Carbon express recomends the tr4560 for this bow setup i am using the tr6075 well within range I have done the research behind the arrows and know the grn/in, spine, diameter of everything I use. If it is not within the limits I wouldn't use it. As for this length of arrow in this poundage of bow they don't test. 25" is the shortest testing point unless you contact someone at pse and ce wich I have done. The tech's have concurred.
You've got PM, which I sent before this post, and whoever the TECH's are you're talking to are OFF THEIR ROCKERS, trust me on that. It's well within the limits, but the spine is SEVERELY stiff, which doesn't allow for that arrow to flex near enough for what should be "GOOD FLIGHT."

Here's some good reading on ARROW spine.... http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Ca...ion-guide3.htm With that damned old PSE spine chart on it again halfway down on the left.