Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Basic Mech broadhead ?

Old 09-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Basic Mech broadhead ?

Check out Bowhunting World magazine (October 2008 issue, Whitetail Special). They performeda field testwith 15 different brands of mechanical broadheads. I believe you will find the results of the test interesting.Hopefully this will answer some of your questions.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Basic Mech broadhead ?

ORIGINAL: ACPOSSETIM

Spitfire baby! They are a tough, solid, simple head that cuts a massive hole, leaves great blood trails, doesn't need o-rings or rubberbands to keep them closed, fly great, and only require about 45 #'s of K.E. to open.

here is a link of some slo mo test footage it shows a spitfire going through a cow femur and opening on a water balloon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Byvk_D35aOQ

Also they make a practice blade that replaces your hunting blades. I shoot them into my block with zero damage and the same point of impact.

AND,require a boatload of energy to get a passthrough.

Over the years on this forum and watching the "pros" on tv,I can say without a doubt that these head require much more energy than most mechanicals to achieve a full passthrough.

45# of energy to open is a freaking ton of energy to open a head.The heads I have used Rocket Steelheadsfor years and theyoutpenetrate most 3 blade fixed heads.