Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Basic Mech broadhead ?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Basic Mech broadhead ?

Sheesh ! hard crowd

I had "heard" that you can "band" the Mech broadheads closed for practicing ?????? so they will not open on impact.

Not like I was shooting through a rasberry bush, 3 times it was a lone, small twig, not visible to the eye.

Thanks,
Slack
Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may be able to band the forwardfacing blades so that they do not fold back on impact. Not sure about that though. Not sure what to do on rear deployment though.

Also, I have no problem with a person practicing real world sort of shots. You concentrate more and also it makes you notice everything that could come into play and there are definitely a lot of twigs hiding outin the woods that most people do not even see until after the arrow is gone.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sheesh ! hard crowd

I had "heard" that you can "band" the Mech broadheads closed for practicing ?????? so they will not open on impact.

Not like I was shooting through a rasberry bush, 3 times it was a lone, small twig, not visible to the eye.
I wasn't trying to be harsh. Just saying that a mechanical isn't going to help you out with twigs and you gotta make sure they aren't there all together if you want to "fix" that problem.

You can tape up the mechanical heads but you then add weight to the broadhead and instead of making a nice slice in the target it will then rip and tear the target.

I suggest that instead ofpracticing all the timewith your broadheads simply just shoot several to verify where they are impactingand if they are impacting with your field tips you are good to go and go back to field tips and put sharp blades in the broadheads for hunting. Every now and then during the season shoot a few broadheads to verify they are still going where they are suppose to and keep hunting.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls makes a point about practicing with the broadheads. Once mine are dialed in I go back to field tips and may just shoot the broadheads again right before season and every once in a while during the season.

I actually have 2 sets of broadheads though. One set for practice and one for hunting so that I do not have to worry about sharpening or replacing blades after practice and ifI ever need an extra head or 2 I can use my practice tips with new blades.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like vortex mechanicals but shoot fixed heads nowadays , the rage and snypers look like a good design , just dont get too large a cutting diameter
Old 09-04-2008, 03:12 AM

ORIGINAL: ACPOSSETIM

Spitfire baby! They are a tough, solid, simple head that cuts a massive hole, leaves great blood trails, doesn't need o-rings or rubberbands to keep them closed, fly great, and only require about 45 #'s of K.E. to open.

here is a link of some slo mo test footage it shows a spitfire going through a cow femur and opening on a water balloon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Byvk_D35aOQ

Also they make a practice blade that replaces your hunting blades. I shoot them into my block with zero damage and the same point of impact.
I sure hope you meant 4-5lbs of KE. Sorry, I couldn't resist. After seeing personally the devastation they do on hogs, I would say that they are a solid choice.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spitfire baby! They are a tough, solid, simple head that cuts a massive hole, leaves great blood trails, doesn't need o-rings or rubberbands to keep them closed, fly great, and only require about 45 #'s of K.E. to open.

here is a link of some slo mo test footage it shows a spitfire going through a cow femur and opening on a water balloon.

Also they make a practice blade that replaces your hunting blades. I shoot them into my block with zero damage and the same point of impact.
Aside from the BH performance, the end of that video shows how beneficial an STS would be on a bow to stop that string from vibrating!!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

I sure hope you meant 4-5lbs of KE. Sorry, I couldn't resist. After seeing personally the devastation they do on hogs, I would say that they are a solid choice.
No, I did mean 45#'s that is what your bow needs to have for K.E. for the heads to consistently open.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

No, I did mean 45#'s that is what your bow needs to have for K.E. for the heads to consistently open.
I'm sorry, I could see where 45lbs KE being the recommended minimum to hunt with (actually, I think NAP recommends 50lbsKE). But 45lbs KE to get the blades to consistently open? Nobody in their right mind would hunt with a broadhead like that. I've reviewed testing that showed the Spitfire to consistentlyfully open w/ no deflection on pork ribs set at an angle. The setup used produced a whopping 18ft.lbs of KE.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 AM

I would also look at the Innerloc EXP 2 or 3 blade expandables. They open a bit faster than Spitfires, and changing the blades out is way easier as well.

Quick Reply: Basic Mech broadhead ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.