Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length vs. Axle length?

Old 03-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Draw length vs. Axle length?

Most of the bows that I have shot have been 38" + a2a. I had a pair last spring that were 36, but now I have been shooting a bow that is 34" a2a. When I am anchoring (normally) I have reference points that I am used to. They are a little different than some use, but it shouldn' t matter with respect to what I have been noticing. The anchor and reference points seems perfect with my longer bows, but when I am shooting the short bow, I either have to a) adjust the draw longer to get the string back far enough to touch my nose or b) lean my head slightly toward the string to keep my draw hand in the same familiar position. With the longer bows, I can have the reference points touch with my head in an upright, relaxed position.

If I use a), I seem to lose back tension, finish the draw with my shoulder, and get tendonitis in the right (draw) shoulder.

Using b) seems to take some getting used to, but I am starting to shoot pretty well with this system and this shorter bow.

Is there a generally accepted way of altering form for the change in string angle? I know that some of you really good shooters (Len, Pinwheel, and others) shoot bows of quite different axle length and string angle. What is the best way to maintain accuracy when doing this?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2003, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Draw length vs. Axle length?

I am surprised you have not received any responses yet Joe. This is a very good question.

Personally, I am in just the opposite position. Since I have been shooting short bows for so long I forget what specific reference points I did have when I shot the longer axle to axle length bows. I also find myself experimenting lately with different head positions on the various different models as it seems that what I find comfortable on one model does not necessarily work as well on another.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

a) adjust the draw longer to get the string back far enough to touch my nose or b) lean my head slightly toward the string to keep my draw hand in the same familiar position. With the longer bows, I can have the reference points touch with my head in an upright, relaxed position.

Joe, in my opinion, I wouldn' t do either of these. I also, have some problems like you describe. I have a 33" draw, so you can imagine me trying to touch my nose to the string on a short axle bow. The angle of the string on full draw is just too great. The bow I shoot now is 38" and that may even be considered long by todays standards.

Doing " A" could actually be dangerous to your health (especially shoulder), you do not want to go too long on the draw.

Doing " b" may work, but it may put your body in an awkard position, and eventually may lead to something.

Here is what I do, I use a hand held release and touch the middle knuckle to the back of my jaw, I use kisser button that I etched a small grove on to meet the tip of my nose. The one that I use is 11/16 inch and is made by Saunders I think. I don' t use the kisser button to the corner of my mouth.

I also, discontinued using any peep because of the severe angle. I went with a no-peep, and will never use a peep again on a compound bow.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve got a draw length that' s just a half inch longer than BobCo' s. I don' t have a Pinnochio nose either. At 33 1/2" draw, you don' t go longer on draw length. It' s a bad idea anyway.

When I go to a bow that' s much under 40" , I lose all secondary reference points and have to rely totally on my primary references - a solid, consistent anchor and the peep sight. I do shoot well without those secondary references though.

Bending the head forward is as much a no-no as stretching the draw length out. It plays havoc with your form, cuts down your visibilty and strains the eye, neck and back muscles. The way I see it, just maintain your good head position and just accept that you can' t touch that string with your nose any more. Concentrate on hitting your anchor exactly the same way each time.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whew, had me worried there for a second. I plan on going from a 36" ata to a 29 or 31" ata and never gave much thought to the string anlge and my peep. Looks like there' s hope for me after all.
I hope it won' t be to awkward.
Great question by the way. Sometimes the best questions get the fewest responses!!
Old 03-14-2003, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, thanks for the responses.

I was mostly troubled because I was trying method a and getting lots of shoulder stiffness, etc.

Arthur, the amount I am moving forward doesn' t amount to much. It is starting to feel more comfortable.

BobCo, it is funny you should mention the kisser button on the nose. That IS how I shoot. Kisser touching the nose, fletch touching my lip, index knuckle on point of jaw, and no peep sight. I have had too many times when I could see a deer in low light, but couldn' t see him (or her) through the peep. The fiber optic pin was all I could see. I' ve had this happen at 3D shoots too (dark target, shooting from bright sunshine). Guess the eyes aren' t what they used to be along with the shoulders!

It is becoming less of a problem the more I get used to " Frankenstein." I really do like the bow, fast, quiet, low recoil, and it lays them in there pretty well, even with the Whisker Biscuit. I think I will get one of those new angled kisser buttons, and see if that helps.

I can adapt to this situation, because in case I hadn' t mentioned it, I really like the bow!
Old 03-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, the only real problem I had with a short bow (36" is short to me, anyway) is the string angle took the peep so far from my eye that I had to use a peep with a VERY large hole, just so I could see my pins.

I haven' t shot a bow that' s shorter than my draw length yet.