Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow shoots higher at 20 yards than 10 or 30

Old 08-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Spike

Default Bow shoots higher at 20 yards than 10 or 30

I'm gearing up for the upcoming VA season and I've made a couple of adjustments on my bow. As a result the bow is shooting five inches higher at twenty yards than it is at 10 or 30. The bow has been paper tuned by a bowtech and the rest is inline with the nock and string. What could be causing the problem?

The changes that I've made are:

Increased the poundage from 55 to 62
Shooting 400 gr. Easton Axis compared to last years Cabon Raiders
Added a Quiktune 360 to replace a WB

I would appreciate the insight.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:53 PM

Default RE: Bow shoots higher at 20 yards than 10 or 30

If your pin is set to twenty, it will of course be low at 30 due to arrow drop. It will also always be low at 10, because of the trajectory of your sight in relation to the traj. of your arrow. Think of it this way; if you draw an imaginary line from your arrow to the target, and an imaginary line from your eye through your sight, to the target, those two lines will only touch at your set 20 yards. at ten yards the arrow line is below the sight line. I'm not sure it should be exactly 5 inches, but it should be low.
-jake
Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 PM
bigcountry

As it should. If you was to shoot point blank right out of the bow, You would hit up to 5" low, for you to hit dead on at 20 yards, the arrow has to rise or be shot at a positive angle.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Just adjust your top pin so it's dead on at 20. You'll be a little high at 10 and 15, little low at 25 ...but that depends on arrow speed and such.

No real problems for ya there . But......I've had a couple run ins with that 360 rest you have, and it didn't last to long on my bow or any of my buddies. Hopefully it works better for you

Old 08-29-2008, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AppalachianTracker

I'm gearing up for the upcoming VA season and I've made a couple of adjustments on my bow. As a result the bow is shooting five inches higher at twenty yards than it is at 10 or 30. The bow has been paper tuned by a bowtech and the rest is inline with the nock and string. What could be causing the problem?

The changes that I've made are:

Increased the poundage from 55 to 62
Shooting 400 gr. Easton Axis compared to last years Cabon Raiders
Added a Quiktune 360 to replace a WB

I would appreciate the insight.
That is the ARC in Archery. If you look at a ballistic table, and set a pin for 30yds, that arrow will be close to 0 at 5yd, rise until it peaks around 17 - 18yds, then gradually drop to hit the 30yd. spot There is nothing wrong with that, that is what it is supposed to do. And for the record, just because a bow has been "paper-tuned," doesn't mean it's "YOU-tuned." PAPER-TUNING is ONLY a start point, and MOST guys will adjust things ever-so-slightly for shooting BH's or when they do a walk-back, because they'll find that the set-up needs a little tweaking.

Do what Mikey said, adjust the site so your top pin is dead on at 20yds, and then go from there.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM

Practice these shorter shots With mine I have a pin set for 20, 30, 40, 50

When shooting at 20 use the twenty and so forth back to whereever.

When you shoot at 10 yards use your 30 pin(maybe 30 pin alittle high)and it should put you right in there. If you shoot any from5 to 7yards use your 40 pin and it will be right in the area you want it to be!!

Sounded Crazy the first time I heard it too but try it and you'll never go back to useing a 10 yard pin!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

No real problems for ya there . But......I've had a couple run ins with that 360 rest you have, and it didn't last to long on my bow or any of my buddies. Hopefully it works better for you
had it, just took it off today. Mine shot fine, but I had to much issue with the brushes wearing and trying to shoot any offset fletching. If your vanes are straight it will shoot fine, but mine with offset always hit someway.

right now I have a drop tine whisker on which shoots just as well, but shows shooter error a little more. I'd check the rest and fletching to see if anythings hitting but just sight your bow for 20 dead on. I do 90% of my shooting from 20 yards and closer. I use the 20 to shoot 30 also, just aim a tad higher. The only other pin I have set is a 40 yard on.. to many pins block my field of view and get in the way
Old 09-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Virginia Archer

Practice these shorter shots With mine I have a pin set for 20, 30, 40, 50

When shooting at 20 use the twenty and so forth back to whereever.

When you shoot at 10 yards use your 30 pin(maybe 30 pin alittle high)and it should put you right in there. If you shoot any from5 to 7yards use your 40 pin and it will be right in the area you want it to be!!

Sounded Crazy the first time I heard it too but try it and you'll never go back to useing a 10 yard pin!
Does sound crazy. I like it though. Does it do the same from a tree stand?