Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BH vs FP question

Old 08-26-2008, 10:24 AM

Default BH vs FP question

Ok, I had to make a few minor tuning adjustments to get my BH point of impact and point of aim the same. I initially grouped a few FPs and then shot a couple BHs to see where I was at. I was hitting a bit low with the BHs so I tried to move the nock point. Nock point didn't want to move, and fearing I may damage the string if I tried to force it, I decided to raise the rest instead. Grouped BHs again, and presto I'm right on with the BHs now. Hooray!

I decided then to put away the BHs and shoot a few more FPs just to get some more reps, but low and behold my FPs are now hitting higher than point of aim. So the question is - do I drop the rest back down and repeat the tuning process forcing the nock level to move? Should I say screw it and leave it alone since we hunt with BHs anyhow? Any other recommendations?

And because someone will probably ask.- 70 lbs @ 28" shooting ST Epic 340 w/ 125gr heads and Blazers
Old 08-26-2008, 10:32 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: BH vs FP question

When youmove your rest, your FP's will move too. You keep moving your rest until FP's are hitting the same as BH's and then resight in again. Your done.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

When youmove your rest, your FP's will move too. You keep moving your rest until FP's are hitting the same as BH's and then resight in again. Your done.
If I continue to move my rest will my BHs continue to move? If I understand your suggestion and what I've read on Easton's tuning guide (just found that bad boy) - both FP and BH groupings will move in opposite directions, BH's up and FP's down (towards each other) and then from there just re-adjust sights for the distances.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:55 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

If I continue to move my rest will my BHs continue to move? If I understand your suggestion and what I've read on Easton's tuning guide (just found that bad boy) - both FP and BH groupings will move in opposite directions, BH's up and FP's down (towards each other) and then from there just re-adjust sights for the distances.
No, both do not move in opposite directions. Thats impossible. The BH's just plane the arrow. Imagine a exagerated high nocking point, say 3" high. The blades on BH's will drive it down much quicker than it would a Field Point. The BH is used to exagerate the situation.

Moving your rest up, both BH's and FP's will hit higher and higher, just the BH's will move faster.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

No, both do not move in opposite directions. Thats impossible. The BH's just plane the arrow. Imagine a exagerated high nocking point, say 3" high. The blades on BH's will drive it down much quicker than it would a Field Point. The BH is used to exagerate the situation.

Moving your rest up, both BH's and FP's will hit higher and higher, just the BH's will move faster.

aaaaaahhhh. Ok that makes more sense to me. So while both are rising the BH will do it faster and will catch the FP eventually - giving them the same POI.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:39 PM

Update: I was able to get everything spot on, FPs and BHs are about one in the same now (well as close as they'll ever be - BH still about 1" lower than FP) My rest isn't quite adjustable enough to close that last little gap, so I'll just have to compensate a bit when I go from shooting BH's to FP's. I readjusted the sight and am now good to go. Big thanks to Bigcountry for the help!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

nocking point will also move your verticle adjustments...i get my height set on my rest so the arrow sits at the bottom of the berger hole and never touch it again...i adjust at the loop(nock)

just throwing that out there since you maxed out your rest....most likely means your nock placement might need adjusted....ive never seen sights or rests maxed out unless something else was wrong...
Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

nocking point will also move your verticle adjustments...i get my height set on my rest so the arrow sits at the bottom of the berger hole and never touch it again...i adjust at the loop(nock)

just throwing that out there since you maxed out your rest....most likely means your nock placement might need adjusted....ive never seen sights or rests maxed out unless something else was wrong...
I originally was planning on adjusting nock level, but the nocks were crimped on so tight I didn't want to move them by force and risk damaging the cable. My rest isn't quite maxed out but is darn close, at least I learned another tuning method