Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

why a fixed blade and why a mechanical?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why a fixed blade and why a mechanical?

You have to take some of the momentum VS Kinetic Energy discussions with a grain of salt.

Rear deployment mechanicals penetrate as well as a fixed blade and some do more damage. I've shot Slicks side by side with the Piston Points and the Piston Points (Now Trophy Ridge Undertakers)penetrated the same or better. Front deployment mechanicals may have a chance of loosing penetration as well deflecting depending on the design.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you are shooting very low poundage or are only getting say 40lbs of KE then there shouldnt be any problems with penetration on deer sized game. Like Dave said the new modern expandables penetration is right there with most fixed blade heads. I wouldnt shoot the old spitfire style heads if you paid me to, but the newer rear deployment heads are great. You can achieve more forgiving arrow flight with large cutting diameters andwithout loosing penetration. Will they replace a fixed blade head? Not in durability and strengthbut the new style mechanicals deffinetly have there place.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rage 2 blade. Just because ICAN blood trail doesn't mean I like spending hours in the woods scenting-up my best spots.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I use the shoot-thru netting on my doublebull blind so it is fixed for me. If I did more stand hunting I would consider mechanicals.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:18 PM

I use fixed blades. because my cousin had a expandable come open on him in mid flight and missed the deer.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hick442

I use fixed blades. because my cousin had a expandable come open on him in mid flight and missed the deer.
It opened up,became a fixed blade head and he missed.[8D]

Old 08-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hick442

More importantly with your LOW Kinetic Energy set-up, you SHOULD be using a fixed blade in the first place to ensure good penetration. As far as the BH opening up in "mid flight," how certain of that can he be???? There are lots of good "excuses" out there, it'd be pretty difficult to determine that a MBH opened in "mid flight," without having a video of it.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:27 PM

So your telling me that it will be hard to get a pass thru withan expandable ,shooting the poundage that I currently have?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: khawk

So your telling me that it will be hard to get a pass thru withan expandable ,shooting the poundage that I currently have?
If you were referring to me.... "No, your set-up should be perfectly capable, Hick was the one I was saying has a LOW ENERGY set-up that is more likely to have penetration issues with a mechanical head." And with the rear-blade deployment on some of these newer heads, he may have plenty, as long as he sticks with a SMALL cutting diameter.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm old in my line of thinking. I was always told if you want more blood you have to have more blades... I shoot the 4 blade muzzy fixed blades and even though it takes a little longer to tune them I get great results.

For one season I was trying the "vortex" mechanical broadheads but I never shot anything with them. Do they even still make those? I remember they were expensive as all get out back then.

I remember back (in the 80's) when there was a 5 blade broadhead, and the blades were seperate from the body of the broadhead and in theory the blades were supposed to stay stationary in flight while the arrow and main body of the head spun. This way it was supposed to be uneffected by plaining and such. I still have one laying around somewhere... Never got a deer with it but my friends said it put a mighty hole through a deer.

Quick Reply: why a fixed blade and why a mechanical?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.