Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

RazorTec vs. Patriot

Old 03-11-2003, 01:05 PM

Default RazorTec vs. Patriot

Has anyone had the oppertunity to shoot the 03 Patriot single cam and the RazorTec side by side.

How did the hand shock and recoil compare?
Are the walls comparable or it one harder and shorter that the other?

The specs on these bows fall into my critera and I am leaning toward the Hoyt. I had thought about the Mighty Mite but I think it is just a little short for my liking. Is the price of the Patriot about the same as the RazorTec?

Thanks again for your input.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:13 PM

Default RE: RazorTec vs. Patriot

I shot these two bows while looking for my new bow, and, I went with a 03 MightyMite

The good thing is that you can' t go wrong with either bow....

The RazorTec was very smooth. That was probablly its biggest bonus in my opinion. The new cam and a half system is amazing, it is all one fluid movement throughout the entire draw cycle. The backwall was solid. The grip on the RazorTec is amazingly comfortable. It is small and just seems to be made just for your hand. The RazorTec was very quiet and had very little hand shock, along with above average speeds. A few things that I didn' t like about the RazorTec was the overall balance of the bow. It felt like all of the weight was on the arm muscles. The bow felt like it had no limbs and was all riser. I personally didn' t like this because it made the bow feel much heavier than it actually weighs. The camo is nice, but, it looks much better in pictures than it does in real life. Along with that, the bow could be a little faster, which would enable you to shoot heavier arrows at better speeds.

The Patriot was AMAZINGLY shock free. Along with that, it was INCREDIBLY quiet. The draw cycle wasn' t as smooth as the RazorTec, but, was as smooth as any other single cam bow that I have felt. The overall balance of the bow was better than the RazorTec as far as distribution of weight. One thing that the Patriot needs is a little chubby Doinker stabilizer on the rear stabilizer mouting hole. This helps the forward falling tendancy of the bow. Also, what really shocked me was how the bow is much smaller in life than it looks in pictures. Another thing is that the bows weight is much more evenly distributed than the RazorTec which makes the bow feel much lighter, when in reality, they are very similar in weight. This allows you to get an overall heavier bow (which will make for less handshock), but, with a physical weight of a lighter bow. The Patriot is also a screamer, it shoots very fast and has some great performance. A few down sides are that you can' t adjust draw length as much as the Hoyts Cam and a Half. Another downside is the grip. The grip is very very comfortable, but just not what the RazorTecs grip is.

As far as price.....

The RazorTec is definitely cheaper, around here it averages 579.95-614.99 and the Patriot averages around 679.99-699.99.

As far as which one I would suggest........that is a VERY tough decision. I was struggling because I narrowed my bow choices down to the 03 RazorTec and 03 MightyMite. I thought long and hard about it, and, I decided that the MightyMite was more my speed. You have to pick what you want. If you want PURE performance with just a slightly rougher draw cycle and a grip that is just a bit less comfortable, then DEFINETLY go with the Patriot. But, if you don' t care about the performance, the RazorTec might be the way to go.

Like I said, this is a win win situation. You can' t go wrong.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:56 PM

Buck

Thanks for the feedback. Just courious how do you like your Mighty Mite. Is that 2" shorter ATA affect your accuracy. As I mentioned I was thinking about the Mighty Might but I am not sure about the short ATA. The extra speed would be nice and the shorter ATA would be handy for hunting.

How is your set up on the Mighty Might and what kind of speed are you getting. I think you had posted it somewher before but I am not sure where.

Around here the RazorTec goes for $659 and I can get ahold of a Patriot for around $640.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:52 PM

UpNorth,

I LOVE my MightyMite, I was a little worried about it, until I shot it at the pro-shop. It was AMAZINGLY shootable. I am not even joking. The bow had about as much shock and noise without anything as my 2002 Hoyt MT Sport with nothing on it. I put just my stabilizer on and it was down to what my MT Sport was with everything. It is an amazing bow, for me atleast. I wouldn' t suggest it to someone who doesn' t know proper form or someone that is just getting into shooting.

I am shooting a 72 pound actual poundage from a 30" draw length. With everything on it, except my stabilizer, shooting a arrow just over 400 grains, I was getting 303 f.p.s. Pretty impressive cosidering that I have a 80% let-off. Put it to 65% and I would be getting around 307 f.p.s.

I can hold this bow INCREDIBLY still. I think it comes with the balance of the bow. It is very stable in your hand. It is because the weight of the bow is spread out over the entire bow, even more than the Patriot. It feels like you are holding nothing at all, which means you have less arm fatigue from holding it.

The best thing I can tell you is go shoot the RazorTec one day, the Patriot the next, and the MightyMite the next. It is all feel between these bows.

I can tell you that these are the three top hunting bows in my book, followed closely by the PSE FireStorm and the Martin Tracer Mag (not as much performance speed wise, but a SWEET shooting bow).

Try them out, and make sure you try out the MM, it is sweet, in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:40 PM

Go with a 60lb, dual cam patriot. The bow rocks, shoots like a dream, no vibration and accurate. I am getting 296fps with a 329 gr arrow 27.75" draw and 65lbs.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

I shot the Hoyt Razortec and Havotec, Bowtech Patriot SC and DC, Mighty Mite, VFT, PSE Nitro and the Mathews Legacy. I was looking at 70 lb, 29" for all and my previous bow is an 80 pounder, so 70 lb in all of them was a dream to shoot.

My impressions:

1) Both Hoyts were excellent, smooth to draw and shock-free. Speed was acceptable, but the riser was hard to get comfortable with. Price in my area $599, not bad for these bows.
2) Mathews Legacy - quite and relatively shock-free as well. I didn' t like the roller guard. And I didn' t really like the price--$659.00--but I would have seriously considered it without a rollerguard. Speed is comparable.
3) PSE Nitro - again close to others, but I felt a little more hand shock, and the speed wasn' t what I thought it should be with a 6" BH bow. Smooth draw and price was $569.
4) Bowtechs - Personally, I hated the short valley on the Patriot DC and the 65% letoff. But otherwise, it was a great bow! Great speed, forgiving brace height, and hand shock was miminal! The Price - $669.

The Patriot Single cam, Mighty Mite, and VFT were awesome. Patriot' s are pricey - $649, Mighty Mites are reasonably priced - $549 as are VFT' s at $569.

My choice:
VFT - Nice price for the speed your getting, smooth and shock-free. The BH is 6.625" , a little low but I found it quite shootable. 80% letoff and solid wall, but the valley was hunter-friendly. 306 FPS is not bad either. Truthfully, it is a Patriot SC with a shorter brace height for more speed at a lower cost.

FYI, my second choice would have been the Mighty Mite and my third choice was the Razortec. I couldn' t bring myself to choose a 31" bow, but the Mighty Mite was an awesome shooter. I couldn' t by the Razortec, mostly because of the proshop, but I admit that I kinda wanted the speed for less $$$ and I also loved the new longer riser and VFT limbs.

Try all of them as I did and make your own decision. Good luck!!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

I don' t know why the previous post is blank, but what I said is I tried the following before I purchased:

Bowtech - Patroit SC, Patriot DC, Mighty Mite, VFT
Hoyt - Razortec, Havoctec
PSE - Nitro
Mathews - Legacy

I chose the VFT because of the combination of speed(306), price($559), dealer and smoothness. In my view, the VFT is just a shorter BH version of the Patriot Single Cam, faster, just as shock-free and smooth and a better price.

The Razortec was almost as good, but price($599), speed(286) and the dealer caused me to choose the Bowtech VFT.

The Mighty Mite was a close third. The Patriot SC is a good choice, but pricey.

The rest I did not like for various reasons:

Patriot DC - Short valley.
Havotec - Too short for me.
PSE Nitro - I expected more speed with the 6" BH.
Legacy - I personally don' t care for the Roller Guard, without it I would buy it.

Just my two cents
Old 03-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

I now have a razortec, and i have to say it is the nicest bow to date that i have owned and shot.I have owned many bows in the last 10 years ,makes and models, including an 02 patriot.
I felt the 02 patriot was a nice bow, but did not care for the balance or the grip.
I realize you are looking for info on the 03 patriot, but for a peformance standpoint i would imagine they are the same.
I feel the razortec is equal or better in every catagorie including speed.
I will say that you should be happy with either bow, they are both made of very good quality.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:50 PM

bbahunter,

The grip of the 03 Patriot is the same, but, they worked on the balance issue alot. It is much improved from last year.

Also, the RazorTec' s IBO speed is 315 and the Patriot' s is 320.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

RazorTec has an IBO rating of 310fps......a small mistake, and understandable from a guy that has shot 40 different bows in the last month or so!

Quick Reply: RazorTec vs. Patriot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.