Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pro shop b.s. or not?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pro shop b.s. or not?

ORIGINAL: khawk

All I know now is that my bh's are grouping with my fp''s and expandables. It is a work in progress that I will not give up! This is my second year hunting with a bow now and I have came leaps and bounds from jumping in the stand and missing a buck due to not understanding the flight of a broadhead! True, he did paper tune it for me and I do understand that the grip is a key factor but that high tear that torented me for weeks now is gone. Credit goes to all that havegivenfeedback and to that old man an hour away. Sometimes riding shoutgun is the best way to learn!
I really commend you for your diligence and perseverence. On the other hand, if you have field points, fixed blade broadheads and mechanicals all hitting the same place at a given distance (at least out to 30 yards, then that is really what you should be trying to achieve. The important thing here is that paper tuning tells you just how your arrow is leaving the bow. It doesn't help tell you what the arrow is doing down range. There are other things like FOC and fletching drag that come into play.

Sounds like you're ready to quit tearing your hair out and go hunting. You'll lose the hair as you age anyway. No need to rush things.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dryridge

DId the guy at the second shop fix the lower wheel lean? It can be done by twisting the buss cable,
Bingo! No czar aye! LOL

Look forward to reading what you have to say!

Hope you stick around and I also hope you've learned to read people. Often times a critique isn't thinking of you at all so don't take the place to hard.

As for myself, I'm here for entertainment.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dryridge:

Assuming you are lurking here.... exactly what does moving the WB back at a lean do? I'm a tech myself, but I've never heard of fixing arrow flight by moving an arrow rest out of square. I'd of thought that the only thing it would have done was increase the wear on the buscuit. Educate me!

Andy
Old 08-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: BGfisher

ORIGINAL: khawk.

Sounds like you're ready to quit tearing your hair out and go hunting. You'll lose the hair as you age anyway. No need to rush things.
lol
Old 08-21-2008, 01:00 AM

Swamp Collie,

I had a real hard time trying a WB for the first time. It went against everything I ever learned as an archer or archery tech. However as I heard more and more folks sing it praises, I knew there had to be something too this thing. Then I had my accident and my shoulder reconstruction. My surgeon was a Phys. Therapist before going back to med school and darn it that young hot shot didn't bowhunt too. I told him his mission, should he choose to accept it was to get me back to shooting. He told me up front "never again". But hey, after being paralyzed 3 times and walking around with barely a limp, I just gave hima wink and said we'll see. I had Mathews build me a 30-40# Switchback and the shop I use and help now suggested I put a WB on it to hold it because my draw cycle wasn't pretty to start with. I concured. So, I put it on. That thing was the bees knees. Then I got some new Easton HIT shafts which were skinnier than my old GoldTips (that were way overspined but paid for so I made sure I was gonna be able to shoot the thing before I gave them to my son and bought new ones). The new shaft were actually loose in there and had a knock high tear no matter what. They were spined correctly and the bow was tweaked to the max. So, I gave it a little workout in my now not so hair covered computer and leaned it back just a tad....Bingo! We got bullet holes. I told the guy at the shop what I did and he said he heard that tilting them when they were worn helped to get some time out them but that it never really made much sense to him and besides HE SOLD NEW ONES....Well if you put some thought into it now, I bet you can figure exactly whatwas happening to both make it hit high and why it fixed the issue. It was a rest issue that could also duplicate an arrow issue. You tell me now, what can it be?
HINT: It was how I used to fixthe old prong rests that caused the sameissues that made me think of it.

Yes, it can cause some premature wear, but mostly it don't need doneuntil wear exists at the level mark. It basically can then get you a little more time out of the rest when worn or tune it a tad when needed. I think they have different bisquits to fix the problem RIGHT. Tilting is a band-aid fix.

So, you figure it out and you win the prize ofarchery egghead for the day

Dave

PS: to answer your other ??? before you askit, I shot it for 2 years sparingly and thumbed my nose at my doc (not really) but he warned me it was not doing my shoulder any good. He was right of course. The last 3 times I drew it at 32# my shoulder flew out of place. That will make a tough man sweat. I traded it for the crossbow even up.