Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

home made paper tuning rack?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Default home made paper tuning rack?

Does anyone know how to make a homemade paper tuning rack or of a link that I could get some plans to build one??
Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: home made paper tuning rack?

Check this thread:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2937601
Old 08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

You can use a 8' step ladder and tape paper between the legs or buildone out of 1" pvc.I had some layingaround so I built one a few weeks ago.

The base is a rectangle with a turned up tee on each side for the 5' or 6' vertical pieces then another tee 3/4 way up for the horizontal piece that makes up the bottom side of the "window"and then an elbow fitting at the very topfor the horizontal piece that makes up the top side of the window. The distance between the verticals is 18" I think. I just tape some heavy paper in the window. I didn't even glue the joints. Hacksaw, couple joints of pipe, some fittings and 15 minutes is all it takes.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM

I made one that attached to my porch with a floding chair and atie down. The problem is that I am only about 4 feet from the paper. Is that enough space to get a true reading? Also, I used an unfletched arrow.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: khawk

I made one that attached to my porch with a floding chair and atie down. The problem is that I am only about 4 feet from the paper. Is that enough space to get a true reading? Also, I used an unfletched arrow.
It's widely recommended to paper tune from various distances from up close out to 15-20 feet to give you different looks at what your arrow is doing.

In regards to bareshaft tuning, from what I understand (others may disagree),it isn't always necessary. I for one, don't do it. In fact I only paper tune to get my nock height correct then I move on to walk-back. Then I may go back and check it through paper, but if I'm getting only a small tear, I don't worry about, too many variables.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:34 AM
bigcountry

I took 4 2X4's, and just pretty basic. 3' legs screwed to 6ftstands holding your paper. Reinforce the legs to the stands at 45 degrees. I just tape mypaper with masking tape.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 AM

If you provide me your email, I can email you pictures of my paper tuner and a parts list. I made it out of pvc. It works great and is inexpensive.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 AM

I swear the best paper tuner I ever had was a cardboard box. Just stand it on it's side with the top or hole facing your target backstop. Cut the center out of the bottom and tape newspaper over the hole. Now shoot through it.

You can hit it and it won't hurt anything. Its very portable and you can even lay another piece of cardboard in the bottom and use it to hold the papers and tape and whatever till you need it. You may have to set it up on a bench or stool or something to get the right height. I used to keep one in my shop and set it up on a stool and shootthrough it when we needed. I made other elaborate things that got shot or took up way too much room.