Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting in the rain

Old 08-14-2008, 10:12 AM

Default Shooting in the rain

Having been a Marine, if it at rainin' we aint trainin' mental thing comes to mind! I have never had to clean up a bow, or take care of it in the rain. Any help would be great as I am thinking of heading out to practice in the rain for the experience!
Joe
Old 08-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shooting in the rain

Just shoot it man, it'll be ok. Let it hang someplace to dry that's all, don't lock it up in a case if you can help it after it's wet.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM

Yep, it'll be fine. I've actually hosed mine off with the waterhose a few times after getting muddy from the wheeler ride back to camp. After it dries I do put a dab of bow oil on the screws of the sight and rest though.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Spike

Don't let the rain stop you. I've killed some nice deer on rainy days where I thought about staying in bed, but forced myself to go anyway. Get some good goretex rain gear, and maybe a treestand umbrella, and you can still be comfortable in a stand all day in the rain.

I ditto txmarshmonkey, I wipe my bow down and put a few drops of oil on the screws and any exposed, uncoated metal. You should be fine.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heck, I've shot it under water...Not really.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Howard Hill, is that you?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

last year for some crazy reason, after a long hunt in the rain i shot the bow to check and see if it was still on adn it wasnt. that was with my hoyt, for some reason it seemed like rain always affected it.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semper Fi, I usualy wipe mine down to get it as dry as possible mainly to prevent surface rust. Just make sure your string is good and waxed thats really the only thing it hurt. Another little tip while hunting in the rain blow your peep sight out so rain drops dont build up in there specialy if its dropping belowe freezing.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Sounds like a lame excuse for you shooting ability! You ever gonna fix the hole in your garage from your indoor faux pas?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

I had the same results with my old '04 Xtec. It was the factory strings. They'd stretch to hel and back when wet. Get yourself a good set, and hunt in any condition and not fret it.

ORIGINAL: drockw

last year for some crazy reason, after a long hunt in the rain i shot the bow to check and see if it was still on adn it wasnt. that was with my hoyt, for some reason it seemed like rain always affected it.

Quick Reply: Shooting in the rain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.