Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting with 3 pins vs. 1 pin

Old 03-10-2003, 09:20 AM

Default shooting with 3 pins vs. 1 pin

i am just setting up my new bow and i was wondering about shooting with one pin as oppose to three. what are the advantages or disadvantages or either. and if so where do you set it
Old 03-10-2003, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting with 3 pins vs. 1 pin

click, a lot will have to do with the arrow trajectory of your setup. Personally, I use three pins. One at eight, one at 18, and one at 28. I use rather heavy arrows with my setup and get much more of a rainbow effect then a person using light carbons. But, I want to know exactly where my arrow is hitting at 28 yards, not guessing and compensating for it. If you choose to use a one pin setup, no matter what bow you shoot, you will have to do some compensating.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

click I practice with three pins until a month before the season opens, then I go with my 20 yard pin and practice at distances from 10 yards to 40 yards with the single pin, the flatter your bow shoots the less you will have to hold slightly high or low.

The advantage to a single pin is you will never confuse one pin for another when the buck of a life time presents himself to you. Dis-advantage, if you practice enough with a single pin there are none.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:30 AM

Get the best of both world, an adjustable sight.
I just picked up a Truglo rover, and I' m in love.
I shoot a pretty fast bow and have used 1 pin at 25 yards, it allowed me to shoot out to 30 with minimal compendation, all I really had to do was hold a few inches low if the deer was under 10 yards. My problem was I like to practice out to 50, and like the confidence of tighter groups than holding high with 1 pin gave me.
I never wanted more than 1 pin for hunting, too cluttered and a chance of picking the wrong one. With the adjustable, I can practice all I want, and then lock it in for 25 when I go hunting. If it' s real thick with no long shots, I think I' ll be locking it at 15yds, but 25yds should be Ok for most occasions, If I see a deer at 40 yards, I can just slide the sight to 40yds and aim dead on. Any deer shot at that far has to be ranged anyway, for me, so taking the 2 seconds to adjust the sight shouldn' t be a problem.
Otherwise you can buy a sight with 3 or more pins and take your time and figure out how many you prefer over the spring and summer, don' t make a decision like that based on other' s preferences. You have plenty of time to decide for yourself what fits your setup and style.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dis-advantage, if you practice enough with a single pin there are none.
Sorry, Taz, but I' d have to disagree. It really depends on the setup, and personal preference. There are even those out there that won' t use pins on their compound. And feel that relying on a sight at all is a disadvantage. I won' t use a sight on my traditionals, but will with my compound. However, with the heavier arrow set up and slower arrow speeds, I get a pretty good rainbow effect. As you could see, relying on one pin would make estimating shot placement tougher. I' d rather estimate distance to the game and put the pin where it needs to be.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:57 AM
CG

I do the same thing as Taz but I keep my 30 yard pin on and drop all of the others before season.....I' m 3 inches high at 20 and 4 inches low at 40. No confusion is the best thing about it.....
Old 03-10-2003, 12:57 PM

I use two pins before season. One at 25 yds and one at 40yds. Then for hunting I use just the 25 yd pin. Using the 40 yard pin before season teaches you how high you would have to hold the 25yd pin to hit at 40. Although I don' t take 40 yd shots at deer. 35 is my limit on a moving target. Anyone can hit a stationary target that will not move!!!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 01:34 PM

It is my belief that many hunters do not even think about their pins when a large buck is in front of them. They just point and shoot. The more pins, the less likely they' ll pick the right one.

I think it' s best when you don' t have to think too much. If you need to concentrate on your anchor, your grip, your left elbow, the distance to the target, or almost anything else under the pressure of having a big buck within range, you' ll probably find out that you tend to forget it all. I believe it' s best to have as much as possible ingrained so deeply that your decisions become instinctive, and not something you have to think about.

On my bow, I set my one pin at 23 yards. It will shoot a couple inches high at 15 and a couple inches low at 30. If I aim for the center of the kill zone, I' m likely to make a killing shot no matter how screwed up my decision making gets with the deer in front of me. I would never take a shot past 30 yards, so this pin placement works very well.

When I target shoot or shoot 3D, I still use only the one pin. I use these contests to hone my hunting skills and not to win some tournament, therefore my setup remains exactly as it would while hunting with the exception of the fieldtips. I shoot in a league during the winter to keep sharp. I shoot with the same 5 guys each week and we all shoot hunting setups. Everyone of us uses one pin, hunting weight arrows, high draw weights, short bows (we hunt out of tree stands almost exclusively) and hunting releases. This is great practice for developing a repeatable shot without having to think about it.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: shooting with 3 pins vs. 1 pin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.