Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight questions?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:15 AM

Default Sight questions?

Hello all- new to the forum

I am just getting into shooting a bow- and I have a few questions. My first is this: I have a Toxonics 3 pin sight on my bow, and to get it centered on the target I have to move the sight so far left that I have hardly any of the sight left to clamp down on. Is this possibly just the brand of sight not being good for my bow, or is this something that us new fellas typically do wrong?

Also, I am only shooting at moderate distances of 15-20 yards, but on some shotsI feel less stable than others. For instance, I usually shoot four or five arrows for a group and many times two of the arrows will nearly touch, but it never fails that during one of my shots I have difficulty keeping the pin from wobbling, and I get a flier a few inches from the rest of the group. Again, am I screwing up or is this par for the beginners course?

Thanks in advance, Jay
Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sight questions?

For starters cut down from 5 arrows to 3. You're probably wearing out your muscles. Take more time between shots to let them recover. Then, "Aim the Bow".

As for the sight problem? Who set up the bow and is the rest adjusted for centershot? It could be the rest is too far to the left (assuming you're a righty). You should be able to eyeball from the back, bisecting the riser with the string and the string should bisect the arrow also. This is where to start. Then you need to tune the bow. A good reference for this is Easton's Tuning Guide.Another good method is French tuning or walkback tuning to get centershot in line.Rarely is a sight not adjustable enough for windage if these things are done.

How do you grip your bow? You shouldn't grip it at all as this induces torque which can lead to inaccuracies, mostly right/left arrows. Do a search for proper grip and see.

Also it's possible your arrows are not spined properly for your bow. Do us a favor and list your complete setup. Bow, draw length, draw weight. What arrows, length, and spine rating should be sufficient for now.