Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Valley Question

Old 08-10-2008, 09:31 AM

Default Valley Question

I shoot a Mathews Outback and once about every 20 shots, the string jumps forward on me causing a premature release. I check with my proshop about the draw length and they told me it was correct. He mentioned that the Outback has little to no valley.

I am considering buying the Rock from Diamond. I am hoping this will not be the case with this bow. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you cure it?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Valley Question

That's what happens when you shoot a bow that has little to no valley. You can't become too laxed shooting a bow like that. I have a Bowtech pro 40 dully that has no valley to speak of at all. Most archers can't shoot it, because of this. If you like the bow, keep shooting it unitl you're comfortable with it, you have to keep in mind each shot that you must not back off while focusing on your shot.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Thanks Rev,

That is exactly when it occurs. Right when I get the pin on target and try to relax to slowly sqeeze the trigger.

Do you know if the Rock has more valley? What is the disadvantage to more valley?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Benelliboy

Thanks Rev,

That is exactly when it occurs. Right when I get the pin on target and try to relax to slowly sqeeze the trigger.

Do you know if the Rock has more valley? What is the disadvantage to more valley?
That's the problem, don't squeeze your trigger, I assume your shooting a wrist release. Put you index finger on the trigger (after your on the target) as you continue pulling back( don'tsqueeze the trigger, let this slight motionpropel you into a release) this will eliminate the problem and will give you a surprise release eliminating target panic.. If you get the chance to buy a back tension release do it, shooting a back tension will teach you how to release a wrist release. Most archers I run across don't know the first thing about a release, they squeeze or pull the trigger like a rifle.
If you need more help, pm me.