Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

sighting in hs's and fp's

Old 08-09-2008, 10:27 PM

Default sighting in hs's and fp's

I am still having trouble grouping my bh's and fp's. I am shooting 68lbs with 28.5 draw and 4560 redhead shafts with muzzy mx3's. I am wandering if it is possible to group both tips at this point without going to a stiffer arrow. I can purchase practice tips for the muzzy, so that is an option considering that is what I will be hunting with. I have read that others are having the same problem with the muzzys.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:33 PM

Default RE: sighting in bh's and fp's

That is sighting in broadheads and fieldtips if you cant figure it out. Got too quick!!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few ?s.
Are all of the broadheads hitting in a certain direction from your field points?
Are the broadhead groups much larger than field point groups?
What kind of rest are you using?
Are the broadheads spinning true? (Spin the arrow with the broadhead tip on a smooth surface, and check for wobble.
What kind of fletching are you using on the arrow?
The arrows may be a little weak in spine for a 68# bow, but some info on the above questions could get you better advice on here.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been saying this for years, Field Tips and Broad Heads will not fly exactly the same, look at the aerodynamics of the two. You are going to have to tweak your bow before you hunt... It's not that difficult. That's why so many unexperienced hunters use mechanicals.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, just looking at what you are shooting it's real plain to me. Your arrows are marked 4560. That means that they are way underspined for your set up. 45-60 means in pounds. Sure there are little things that can betweaked to help, but 8# over in weight is not gonna make it. You might get away with them if you back the weight down to about 63# or so, but if you're hell bent on shooting the high poundage you better get some arrows spined for it. Try something in a 340 spine.

Of course that doesn't guarantee anything, but to get proper results you have to go back to basics and start over. Complete retune.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:53 PM

BG, I think you are exactly right. I followed the manual that came with my Martin this afternoon, step by step from horizontal plain to paper tuning and never got a consistant group. There were times when I would get a tight group but I would follow up with a headscratching group. I probably am going to go with either gold tips or trophy ridge hailfire. Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you choose Gold Tip XT's then go with the 7595. They are a 340 spine supposedly. Don't know about the Hailfires, but just about anything should work pretty well so long as it's stiff enough. That meaning at least a 340 spine and it won't hurt a whole lot if you have a 300 spine.

Of course there is always the option of keeping what you have and just backing the weight down as I suggested, if for no other reason than to find out if it's a spine issue.At least it's free. Keep in mind that almost anything will group fairly well with field points. It's when you put those little wings up front that wind planing can come into play. That's when the stiffer arrow pays dividends.

For info what Martin are you shooting?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 PM

Martin Jaguar. I want to turn the poundage down some but I am worried about doing it myself. I have heard that as long as you keep your place when you turn that each turn is about 2 to 3 lbs. Could I screw this up? When I had it turned down to 60, I had great groups going with fp's and mech's. Does the cutting diameter affect the flight at all?