Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can poundage be set too high?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Spike

Default Can poundage be set too high?

My son shoots a Browning Micro Eclipse. He grew 5 inches since last year. I wanted to max out his bow both poundage and length to see if it still fit. The ratings are 21-25" and 20 - 35 lbs. I went to Bass Pro Shop since they are convenient. The bow was set at 32lbs. He cranked to bow bolts until they were tight. In fact he snapped the head of an allen wrench do so. Its still stuck - but thats another problem I need to solve. I thought the bolts should never be maxed out..meaning they should be backed off a half turn or so. Anyway it is now set at 38 lbs. . Also, it is louder than it used to be. Any suggestions/advice?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can poundage be set too high?

They have min-max rateings for a reason......I would also make him fix it at no cost of course....
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being over in draw weight is very common and is not a problem. My bow from the factory maxed out at 75 lbs (without cranking the bolts until a wrench broke) and it's rated 70 lbs. 3 lbs is not an issue. The ratings are based on the force the limbs apply and some limbs apply more than others even with everything set to spec. The higher DW will be louder and is nothing to worry about. Increased DW out of the same bow usually always will be louder due to the forces the higher DW exerts on the bow.The bow is not at 38 because he cranked it down but because that is probably the max for that bow.

As far aswhat I'd do about the bolt though is back the bolt out a little. it should never be cranked down like that. He should have stopped when the bolt didn't want to turn easily. Most of the guys I see at Bass Pro are not qualified to do anything to their own bow let alone someone else's. They undergo no formal, or even peer, training, have to take no proficiency tests, and usually get their jobs because they are buddy's with the guy working there. They do not have to prove they have any skills or abilities.

I'd have the idiot who broke off the wrench remove the broken piece or go to a good shop and see what they can do. Probably show a manager what happened. you may evenwant to contact Browning about the issue.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Spike

David,
Thanks for the advice. My bow press couldn't handle the small bow. I figured it was easy enough to do and hard to screw-up. Was I ever wrong! The guy at Bass Pro tried to fix it but I lost my trust and needed to get back to work. I will try to back out the allen wrench piece and if successful back-up the bolt a half turn. thanks again.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope that it works out for you. You may be able to drill a small hole in the Allen wrench piece to break it out. Just measure the depth of the Allen wrench hole in the other bolt and put a piece of tape around the bit a little shallower then the depth.

We've all been there were we go to a place that you would think has qualified people only to get bit in the rump.