Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Longest Shot taken on Deer

Old 03-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Longest Shot taken on Deer

45 yards for me, drilled a forkhorn through both lungs, he didn' t go 40 yrds.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve shot a couple at 40yds but thats not a shot i want to take on a regular basis. I generally practice at 20,30,40,50yds but most of my shots are 25yds and closer and thats the way i like it.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

My longest was 36 yards on a whitetail. The deer took a step on me at the point of no return on the release. Never thought he would, but did. Turned a double lunger into a gut shot. I ended up recovering the deer about 150 yards away after a very exhausting trailing effort. I will never take this long of a shot again, even if everything seems perfect. BTW, at the time I was using carbon arrows shooting around 290 fps.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:42 AM

I only hunt whitetails, so my longest is inside 25 yds. Probably about 22. I try to do the homework, so long shots arent needed.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:13 AM

I have taken 4 deer with a bow and 3 of them was between 40-44yds. I am comfortable at shooting longer distance. I pratice at 60-70 yards. I did kill a rabbit at 70yds once. It was cool. I guess I just pratice too much. if that is possible. LOL Bowjunkie
Old 03-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

My longest is 22 yards, of course it was my only one so far!

hunter9022 a DUCK at 53 yards!!!! On the wing or in the water? one way that is a heck of a shot, on the fly is a phenominal shot!

Old 03-10-2003, 11:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

It was 37 yards for me on a young whitetail doe, with a Bear Whitetail II. The arrow could not have been faster than about 180 fps, and the deer did move, but I still got the liver and it proved deadly.

I still don' t like to take long shots, but if given what I believe is a high percentage opportunity, I will take it. 40 yards would be my limit, though.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a 6 pointer in PA on a gas tank while feeding on grass at 77yds about 8 years ago. Now, I don' t condone shooting this far normally, but I had figured on this type of setup and had a movable sight that was dialed in to 80yds, and corresponding flagging tape tied out on tufts of grass every 10 yds. I was shooting ACC' s with mechanicals, and I had practiced with this setup out to the " full boat" of 80yds and was very confident in the shot, (drilled him actually, went less than 100yds) no wind, deer was calm, never knew what hit him.

This year I took a 4 pt in NH at 46 yds with fixed blade heads, another " Pinwheel" . Same type of setup, only this time I used my rangefinder and a 5 pin sight, and knew that my bow was dialed in at the exact same yardage. Again, I do not feel anyone should take any shot like this unless you are an experienced archer (I' m a former IBO champion and have been shooting over 35 years) and practice long shots regularly, and even at that, if there is any chance that one can wait for a better (closer) shot to present itself, one always should. Both of these shots came as a " last chance" scenario, If I didn' t take the shot I never would' ve gotten one, and they were excellent broadside shots on a stopped animal that was feeding away. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 03-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

the longest was32 YDS the closedt being 7 yards.

Quick Reply: Longest Shot taken on Deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.