Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 01-21-2002, 11:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-21-2002, 02:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-21-2002, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What makes your 3D set-up ?

I like my 3D set-up to be fast,forgiving,and comfortable to shoot.Many people think speed is the name of the game!!!! It's not.A 3D set up IMHO should be easy to shoot,being over-bowed is what I see alot of on the 3D circuit.
The bow needs to have the proper balance,poundage,DRAWLENGTH,and set up with the right arrows.
I do not seek the speed,I shoot my best with a bow that shoots right around 278-283 fps.Anything faster seems to be less controlable for me.The IBO has a 5gr per pound minimum for arrow weight,I try to stay as close to that as possible but stay also with whatever arrows shoot and groups the best,not whichever one is fastest.
Bow set-ups are a personal thing,what works for some will not for others.
My set up consists of:
Mathews Q2XL 28" at 65#
Sure-loc lite sight w/ Bullseye 4X AP Scope
Trophy-Taker fall-away rest
30" Easton Black Max Stabilizer
Cavalier V-Bar w/two 8" Super Stix stabs
Easton ACC 3-39's w/70gr point and 2.3" Duravanes OR
Linejammer 350's w/90gr point and 2.3" Duravanes
Stanislawski Mirage or Carter BK Target release (whichever one is working best on the given day).

Best advice I can give is to try different things,and talk to people who use the things you are interested in.
Archery is a very individual thing.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:06 PM

WOw, I just use my hunting setup. It is cool to watch the guys out at 60 yards nailing the deer or whatever target dead on :-)

Jennings Buckmaster Bow
.50 Cal Thompson Center Renegade
Old 01-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

CNDMAT

The first thing you might want to do is lighten up the draw weight.Due to the number of shots taken on a 3d course,fatigue can set in.I personally am down to 53# this year and I was at 58# last year.I hunt at 64#,this isn't a macho game but an accuracy game.

Speed has it's place but Oharcher is correct,go with what shoots best and not what is the fastest.I am usually around 270 and have competed and won money at 260.

Forgiving bows are an advantage and just look at what the winners are using,not so much brand but what is the brace height,axle-axle,and speed.In most cases the brace will be at or above 7",the axle-axle will be above 36"-37",and speed will be between the 270-285 range.I am speaking of the open classes with the most excperienced shooters in it.Hunter classes will be mostly what is used in the field but their will be a few that will do the same as above in that class as well.

I use a Hoyt Ultratec
53# at 28" and a rope loop
Toxonics slide bar
Bulleseye Millineum Ap Scope with 3 power Dominator II lens
18" Vibracheck Shockwave Stabilizer 7oz.
TrophyTaker Fallaway rest
Chappy Boss release
Arrow Dynamics arrows(white)with 70 gr points and 1.75 Fletch Fletch vanes at a total weight of 280gr shooting 270fps

If you are wanting to get serious,I would make 1 suggestion,invest in the Archers Advantage program.This will give you an edge in picking arrows and building different bow combinations before actually shooting them.

check out the web site www.archersadvantage.com

3d is an addictive sport and there are a lot of great people shooting it.That is the best part,everywhere you go you will make new friends.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:13 PM

The above posts are right on the money. Get a confortable, balanced set up that FITS properly. Don't get all worried about speed.
One thing about setting up is to tune the bow to the arrow once you have your arrows -- a lb or 2 up or down can make a big difference.

Here is my set-up:

Merlin Max2000 at 62# and 29 5/8 draw length.
Sureloc Light with Classic Plano 3x lens.
ARC drop away rest.
Arrow Dynamic Matched Nitro Stinger Yellows with PDP points and 1.8" fletch.
Cartel Multirod 28" Stabilizer and Sibuya Sidekick V-bars mounted on the back and a little to the left to balance sight.
Tru-ball XTreme or Zenith Comfort Release.

Here is another program to check out -- it is called OnTarget! and is very good:

http://www.pinwheelsoftware.com
Old 01-22-2002, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, shooting only one arrow every 15 minutes or so, 30 or 40 targets, doesn't really tire you out all that bad. The guys I've seen really suffering are the ones that think they have to have a wagonload of stuff, then drag and wrestle their little wagon all over the range.

All you really need to carry are binoculars, spare release, arrows and pencil. Add a water bottle and a sweat towel in hot weather. You can't make adjustments on the range anyway, so don't carry all those tools and stuff. If it doesn't fit on your quiver belt, you don't need it.

In cool weather, I often just take 6 arrows in a hip pocket quiver and stick a pencil in my pocket. I like traveling light!

My two setups: MCR class - 60 lb Pearson 440 Quad, 3D Rover rest, Beman ICSH arrows, Shurz-a-peep 2X2, Archers Choice Grizzly with 2 extra pins, Scott Little Goose release, Doinker Shorty stabilizer and Limbsavers. Only shoots @ 250 fps, but it's plenty accurate enough to put me in the running.

MCU class - 65 lb Hoyt Provantage Legacy, XX75 2315 arrows, Cavalier MicroFlyte rest and a homemade stabilizer. -or- 65 lb Hoyt ProVantage Rocket, same arrows, same rest, 10" Cobra stabilizer.

I use those two ProVantages set up the same way for hunting also.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-23-2002, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to a drop away for hunting, a savage, and love it. I've never had a problem with it in the woods...
Old 01-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Trophy Taker fallaway for everything.It has fewer moving parts than most conventional rests.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.