Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Noise when shooting.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Noise when shooting.

Most of you know I shoot a 2001 PSE Nova, this bow has been a great bow and has served me well over the years and has helped take many many deer. I cant begin to count. Well last year when shooting I starting hearing a kind of poping/slapping/twangynoise when releasing. Im not sure where its coming from. Took the bow in, had the bow checked over, tuned up, limbpockets greased, cams checked, string serviced, cables checked, you name it, it was done and checked. Even switched to carbon arrows and its still there. heres what I have on my string, Peep site and tube, Kisser, and ultra noc. ( I like to know I have the same achor each time I shoot ) I put on a new tube last year and the sound was still there. I do have a tubless peep on hand I will have my pro shop install since im clueless when it comes to tieing crap onto my bow and see if the noise goes away. Im thinking the tube is slapping the cables but not sure because I never had the noise till last year, what are your thoughts on this. Ivbe taken the bow to 3 different shops and they have no idea what it would be, they are all pretty sure its not the tube.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Noise when shooting.

For a couple hundred dollars you can have a bow that is really nice, not a crappy old Nova and that will put your mind to rest!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Have you added/changed anything new to the bow when you started hearing it: sight, rest, quiver mounts, stabilizer, sight light...anything... no matter how small? Anything new or different on your arrows: different vanes, nocks... anything at all?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ohh dont get me wrong she aint no crappy old nova. this biacth is actually pretty damned fast and damned accurrate. and has served me well over the years and will be going to my son for his first hunting bow.

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

For a couple hundred dollars you can have a bow that is really nice, not a crappy old Nova and that will put your mind to rest!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

No nothing added and nothing has changed.
63# draw
Easton 2314's and EastonExcel ST 400's
WB Rest
HHA Single PinSight
String Leaches
Peep Site
Ultra Noc
Kisser

ORIGINAL: Snood Slapper

Have you added/changed anything new to the bow when you started hearing it: sight, rest, quiver mounts, stabilizer, sight light...anything... no matter how small? Anything new or different on your arrows: different vanes, nocks... anything at all?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

63# draw
WB Rest
HHA Single PinSight
String Leaches
Peep Site
Ultra Noc
Kisser

The Nova is a good, solid bow. I'm willing to betcha anything that highlighted in red is your culprit... Get rid of that and use a regular string loop and report back if that doesn't help. The symptoms you describe fit that perfectly.

Those things are absolutely the worst to have on your string. I think there is some slow motion video out there somewhere (maybe on youtube) that shows how violently they make your string react after a shot.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Spike

Give your limbs a tap with a rubber mallet and see if anything rattles. Shoot your bow with accessories off and see if it is still making the noise, if not put one accessory on at a time until you hear it.A heavier arrow may also quiet it down as well.

I just went through this last week with my Bear Instinct. I had the limbsavers in my limbs, as well as the Simms super leeches in my strings along with d-loop. It drove me nuts so I went through all the things I mentioned above and the noise was still there. I searched this forum and archery talk for hours on end and I kept coming across the cat whiskers, so I figured what have I got to lose for $1.99. I removed my super leeches and installed the cat whiskers, WHAT A DIFFERFENCE!! No more twang/rattling noise after the shot. I have had alot of compliments since last week on how quiet my bow is. Am I going to lose arrow speed with the whiskers as compared to the super leeches? Probably, but I'm all about shot placement. I am strictly deer hunter and I only pull about 57 lbs, but a center shot through the pump station and that deer is dead at 57 lbs or 75 lbs.

I have also considered an STS suppressor and I may still do that in the next couple weeks but for now I am very happy with the performance of the trusty cat whiskers. good luck.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive had the Ultra Noc on for a few years and it never gave me any problems, why would itnow?

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

63# draw
WB Rest
HHA Single PinSight
String Leaches
Peep Site
Ultra Noc
Kisser

The Nova is a good, solid bow. I'm willing to betcha anything that highlighted in red is your culprit... Get rid of that and use a regular string loop and report back if that doesn't help. The symptoms you describe fit that perfectly.

Those things are absolutely the worst to have on your string. I think there is some slow motion video out there somewhere (maybe on youtube) that shows how violently they make your string react after a shot.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

I knew you'd say/ask that.

This brings up another question that is related to what I've posted below. When was the last time you've replaced your string and cables? Also, has the Ultra Noc been moving, or has moved to where it sticks out to either side when the bow is at rest, even thought it is still in line with your peep?

Probably some string stretch or some wear there some how has caused it to change it's orientation upon release. That is why it appears fine when the bow is static or when you draw and let down slowly and you only hear it when the string is in dynamic motion. I had one of those a few years ago and had the exact same thing happed to me. Same noise, etc. Not saying that I couldn't be wrong, but I really suggest you give it a try. Just mark it's position so you can put it back on after you try a loop. If you don't want to go through the trouble of tying on a loop to find out (though it is really easy to do), just take it off and make a nock set with some serving string or dental floss to keep your arrow at it's proper height on the string (or put on a brass nock) and shoot a couple arrows by attaching your release directly to the string. It won't shoot the same because it will change you anchor point, but it will be fine just to experiment with shooting a few arrows to see if that is where the noise really is. If it isn't, it is easy to just put it back on.

Look at it this way. It is made out of metal and when it is on your string it creats a "D" shaped hole. If it is not perfectly in line with the string as the string moves back and forth after the release, it is grabbing wind to make noise; much as you make a sound by blowing over the hole in a whistle or beer bottle.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey im gonna give it a try this weekend if I have time. Ill take it off and see what happens. I used to shoot without it but my release was eating my serving on my string. If that doesnt clear it up Ill have a new string put on and see what that does. Thanks for the tips. And Ill keep you up to date.

I knew you'd say/ask that.

This brings up another question that is related to what I've posted below. When was the last time you've replaced your string and cables? Also, has the Ultra Noc been moving, or has moved to where it sticks out to either side when the bow is at rest, even thought it is still in line with your peep?

Probably some string stretch or some wear there some how has caused it to change it's orientation upon release. That is why it appears fine when the bow is static or when you draw and let down slowly and you only hear it when the string is in dynamic motion. I had one of those a few years ago and had the exact same thing happed to me. Same noise, etc. Not saying that I couldn't be wrong, but I really suggest you give it a try. Just mark it's position so you can put it back on after you try a loop. If you don't want to go through the trouble of tying on a loop to find out (though it is really easy to do), just take it off and make a nock set with some serving string or dental floss to keep your arrow at it's proper height on the string (or put on a brass nock) and shoot a couple arrows by attaching your release directly to the string. It won't shoot the same because it will change you anchor point, but it will be fine just to experiment with shooting a few arrows to see if that is where the noise really is. If it isn't, it is easy to just put it back on.

Look at it this way. It is made out of metal and when it is on your string it creats a "D" shaped hole. If it is not perfectly in line with the string as the string moves back and forth after the release, it is grabbing wind to make noise; much as you make a sound by blowing over the hole in a whistle or beer bottle.

Quick Reply: Noise when shooting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.